The award was created in the memory of Dr. John Davis Burton, who was a champion and advocate for persons with disabilities. He made significant contributions toward awareness, equity, and integration of persons with disabilities throughout his career as an educator and coordinator of educational support services both at Carleton University and Algonquin College. This award is given annually to a deserving student who is enrolled at Algonquin College, Carleton University, La Cité Collègiale or the University of Ottawa.
Preference will be given to students with a learning disability, then to students with other disabilities and finally to all other students.
- Must have demonstrated a significant contribution towards awareness, equality and integration
of persons with disabilities in their home institutions as well as the larger community.
- Should demonstrate some of the traits which Dr. Burton was most noted for: perseverance,
dedication and a strong sense of community spirit.
- Must be enrolled as a special, part-time, or full-time student in one of the four participating
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Preference will be given to students returning to one of the institutions.
- Preference will be given to students with a learning disability, then to students with any other
disability and finally to all other students.
The PMC has compiled a series of frequently asked questions about the Dr. John Davis Burton Award for your convenience.
Please note that the Dr. John Davis Burton Award is extremely competitive, drawing multiple excellent applications each year. The successful candidate(s) are individuals who demonstrate their commitment and prepare an application which goes beyond the minimum requirements outlined in this form.
More information about the Dr. John Davis Burton Award can be found on the application form. With further questions, call the PMC at 613-520-6608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications open April 1 and close May 31, annually.
- Complete the application form in PDF or Word format;
- Provide a brief personal statement, in your choice of format (e.g. print, audio, video), describing how you meet the criteria of the award;
- Enclose at least one letter of recommendation;
- Return application form and supporting documents to Carleton Awards and Financial Aid, email@example.com.
No late and/or incomplete applications will be considered. For an application to be considered “complete” it must include all three of the parts outlined above, and be submitted no later than the application deadline.
All applications must be submitted in English.