Learning Assistants work one-on-one with registered PMC students with mobility limitations to support classroom learning. As a Learning Assistant you will assist with tasks such as retrieving a laptop, or other class materials, from the student’s school bag and replacing them at the end of class.
Position Details and Expectations
Learning Assistants must
- Check-in with supervisors
- Annually for availability
- Regularly for scheduling
- Complete the AODA and PMC training (provided)
- Arrive in time and prepared for scheduled shifts
- Have and maintain excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to be patient, empathetic and maintain confidentiality
- Listen and be attentive to the needs of the client
Learning Assistants should
- Ask questions when necessary
- Be confident working with individuals with mobility impairments
- Possess the ability to remain calm and think critically in a range of situations
Learning Assistants should know that
- Rate of pay for Learning Assistants is $15/hour (as indicated by the Ministry of Education)
- Medium to High – typically range from 2 to 12 hours per week (1 or 2 Semesters –depending on student course load and testing requirements)
- Time of day determine by class schedule and availability of the student accessing service(s)
Benefits to Joining the PMC Community
- Contribute to the culture of accessibility and effect positive change at Carleton University
- Acquire sought after knowledge, skills and experiences for future employment
- Gain references and experience to put on your resume and discuss at your interview
- Recognition of volunteer time on your transcript through the Carleton Co-Curricular Record (CCR)
The Paul Menton Centre welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Apply using the form below if you are interested in becoming a Learning Assistant.
If you have any questions or concerns please email us at: email@example.com.