Are you working on an essay that you can’t seem to finish?
What about one you can’t seem to start?
Are you feeling overwhelmed with the thoughts, information and ideas you’re trying to organize?
Or have you gotten feedback suggesting that your writing is unclear or wordy?
Maybe this is your first time writing an essay, and you don’t have a clue where to begin.
Writing is hard. We can help.
Writing Services offers all Carleton students free one-on-one writing consultations.
You’ll spend up to 50 minutes per day with one of our experienced writing consultants, who can help you find ways to solve the writing problems you’re experiencing at any stage of the writing process. We’ll also work with you to build the skills you need to make sure you can tackle these problems in the future.
When & Where?
You can find us on the 4th floor of MacOdrum Library.
Writing consultations are a drop in service — so stop by and see us during business hours!
Our hours of operation for Winter 2020 are Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.
Don’t forget to bring a copy of the assignment sheet and course outline (if applicable), as well as any notes, outlines, or drafts you have completed so far.
We can help you…
- Understand your assignment and respond to it appropriately
- Talk through your ideas
- Develop strong thesis statements
- Create an outline
- Turn an outline into a draft
- Write better introductions and conclusions
- Develop an argument
- Structure and organize your writing
- Figure out how to say what you want to say clearly and concisely
- Learn to proofread/edit your paper
- Develop your critical thinking skills
- Understand the difference between description and analysis
We can’t help you with…
- Proofreading/editing — we can help you learn how to do this for yourself, but we can’t do it for you (that would violate Carleton’s Academic Integrity policy!)
- Take home exams — To avoid Academic Integrity violations, questions about take-home exams should be directed to your professor or teaching assistant.
- Citations — Carleton has a talented team of specialized librarians to help you. Find them online, or stop by the Research Help Desk on the 2nd floor of the library.
- Resumes, cover letters, and statements of interest — The team at Career Services is specially trained to help you with all of your professional writing needs.
- Multiple assignments in the same day — We’re more than happy for you to come back another day with a different assignment, though!