The Elsie MacGill Learning Centre (EMLC) is focused on furthering students understanding and comprehension in their engineering studies, and provides students with the academic support they need to achieve their learning goals.
Whether you have a quick question, want to review a solution, or just need a fresh explanation of content that was covered in class; our Engineering scholars are here to help with your ECOR and first-year math and science courses.
Fall 2023 Tutoring Services
The EMLC will be offering tutoring sessions in-person (in 5030MC) and online (via TutorOcean). The service is free to use for all first-year engineering students. Use the link below to log-on to your TutorOcean account to book a session with an EMLC Scholar.
At the beginning of each term, all students registered in a first-year engineering course will be sent an email to their Carleton email address inviting them to join our tutoring platform. The invitation email is sent from the account firstname.lastname@example.org. If you did not receive an invitation email, or have any issues accessing our services please contact the team at EMLC@carleton.ca for assistance.
- All tutoring is offered by appointment only, we will not be open for drop-in service and the EMLC (MC 5030) will only be open during tutoring hours.
- EMLC Services for the Fall 2023 term will begin on Monday, September 11
- Sessions can be booked 4 days in advance, and booking ends 30 minutes before an available period. Students can book 1 session per day, 4 sessions per week, and 50 sessions per term.
- The EMLC is closed on Sundays, University recognized holidays, during final exam periods, and during fall and winter break.
Campus wide Academic Support
In addition to accessing peer tutoring through the EMLC, engineering students are encouraged to seek academic support from the following campus services (free to all students):
- Centre for Student Academic Support
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) offers weekly group workshops. The Faculty of Engineering and Design has sponsors PASS workshops during the Fall and Winter terms.
- Learning Strategies Sessions offers individual support for refining study skills and exam preparation which are key for success in engineering courses.
- Math Tutorial Centre (MTC) offers tutoring for mathematics courses delivered by graduate students within the discipline.
- Math Homework Support Videos are an excellent source for just-in-time support in learning first year mathematics course content.