The award was created in the memory of Dr. John Davis Burton Award who was a champion and advocate for persons with disabilities. He made significant contributions toward awareness, equity, and integration of persons with disabilities throughout his career as an educator and coordinator of educational support services both at Carleton University and Algonquin College. This award is given annually to a deserving student who is enrolled at Algonquin College, Carleton University, La Cité Collègiale or the University of Ottawa.
Preference will be given to students with a learning disability, then to students with other disabilities and finally to all other students.
- Significant contribution toward awareness, equity and integration of persons with disabilities
- Demonstrates some of the traits for which Dr. Burton was most noted: perseverance, dedication, and a strong sense of community spirit
- Enrolment as a special, part-time or full-time student in one of the four participating institutions
- Good academic standing
- Returning to one of the institutions in the fall
The PMC has compiled a series of frequently asked questions about the Dr. John Davis Burton Award for your convenience.
Please note that the Dr. John Davis Burton Award is extremely competitive, drawing multiple excellent applications each year. The successful candidate(s) are individuals who demonstrate their commitment and prepare an application which goes beyond the minimum requirements outlined in this form.
More information about the Dr. John Davis Burton Award can be found on the application form. With further questions, call the PMC at 613-520-6608 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications open April 1, 2021 and close May 31, 2021.
No late applications will be considered.
All applications must be submitted in English.
- Complete the application form in PDF or Word format;
- Provide a brief personal statement, in your choice of format (e.g. print, audio, video), describing how you meet the criteria of the award;
- Enclose at least one letter of recommendation;
- Return application form and supporting documents to Carleton Awards and Financial Aid, email@example.com.