The award was created in the memory of Dr. John Davis Burton Award who was a champion and advocate for persons with disabilities. He made significant contributions toward awareness, equity, and integration of persons with disabilities throughout his career as an educator and coordinator of educational support services both at Carleton University and Algonquin College. This award is given annually to a deserving student who is enrolled at Algonquin College, Carleton University, La Cité collègiale or the University of Ottawa.
Preference will be given to students with a learning disability, then to students with other disabilities and finally to all other students.
- Significant contribution toward awareness, equity and integration of persons with disabilities
- Demonstrates some of the traits for which Dr. Burton was most noted: perseverance, dedication, and a strong sense of community spirit
- Enrolment as a special, part-time or full-time student in one of the four participating institutions
- Good academic standing
- Returning to one of the institutions in the fall
- Complete the application form
- Provide a brief account, in your choice of format (e.g. print, audio, video), describing how you meet the criteria of the award
- Enclose at least one letter of recommendation
- Return application form and supporting documents to: Paul Menton Centre at firstname.lastname@example.org by application deadline