Admission Requirements for the Diploma in Work and Labour

All applicants must complete a four-year bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with at least a B+ average in an undergraduate university degree in a social sciences, humanities, or a relevant discipline. Applicants without these qualifications may be considered for admission with a BA General degree and significant relevant work or volunteer experience in the area of labour issues.

What you need in order to apply:

  1. Two confidential Referee Appraisal Forms. These are generated electronically to those listed on your Carleton 360 Application. Ensure the information is correct and the referees have been informed of their role. Referees should be able to comment on your academic background and aptitude for graduate school. Typically referees will be academic professors who have taught or supervised you. If you have been out of school for 3+ years, we will accept work references. Note: If you have more than one graduate application to a program at Carleton University,  and are using the same reference(s), your referee(s) will need to completed a Referee Appraisal Form for each application.
  2. One copy of Academic Transcripts/Audits from all academic institutions you have attended. If you are currently completing your undergraduate degree, upload an interim transcript/audit before the April 1 deadline (Summer Admission) and August 1 (Fall Admission). Upon recommendation of admission, original official transcripts will be required.
  3. One Statement of Intent outlining your interests and objectives in the Political Economy program. The statement should point to who you are, why you wish to study political economy, what you hope to achieve in our program, and how it can satisfy your own interests.


  1. One Resumé/Curriculum Vitae.
  2. One Writing Sample – a written work or essay that you feel displays your skills as a writer, researcher or thinker.

Refer to the Carleton University graduate calendar for more information concerning general admission procedures or to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs for additional application information.

Still have questions? Contact the IPE Institute Administrator!