Admission Requirements for the MA in Political Economy
All applicants must complete a four-year bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with at least a B+ average in a relevant discipline to be eligible for admissions. Prospective applicants without such qualifications may be considered for admission if they have both a strong academic record and relevant work experience.
Full-time applicants to the MA program should apply by February 1 to be considered for Fall admission and funding. Admission into the program will be considered after this date if space and funds remain. Part-time applicants should apply by March 1 as funding is not available to part-time students. International applications should apply no later than February 1. Please contact us if you wish to apply after February 1.
What you need in order to apply:
- Two confidential Referee Appraisal Forms. These are generated electronically to those listed on your Carleton 360 Application. Ensure the information is correct and the referees have been informed of their role. Referees should be able to comment on your academic background and aptitude for graduate school. Typically referees will be academic professors who have taught or supervised you. We may accept accept one work reference if you have been out of school for 5+ years. Note: If you have more than one graduate application to a program at Carleton University, and are using the same reference(s), your referee(s) will need to completed a Referee Appraisal Form for each application.
- One copy of Academic Transcripts/Audits from all academic institutions you have attended. If you are currently completing your undergraduate degree, upload an interim transcript/audit before the February 1 deadline. Upon recommendation of admission, original official transcripts will be required.
- One Statement of Intent (1- 2 pages) outlining your interests and objectives in the Political Economy program. The statement should point to who you are, why you wish to study political economy, what you hope to achieve in our program, and how it can satisfy your own interests.
- As part of the application, you can also indicate under Program Details your interest in applying to one of our collaborative master’s programs: African Studies or Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
- One Resumé/Curriculum Vitae.
- One Writing Sample – a written work or essay that you feel displays your skills as a writer, researcher or thinker.
Refer to the Carleton University Graduate Calendar for more information concerning general admission procedures or to the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs for additional application information. You can also download the Program Sheet for more information on the programs IPE offers.
Still have questions? Contact the IPE Institute Administrator!