It’s Cyber Security Awareness Month! This is a time to help better understand the cyber threats we face online and the simple steps we can take to minimize those risks. This week we’re talking about passwords.
You are responsible for the safety of your own accounts. Here are some tips to help you keep your password safe and secure:
- Never respond to email requests for your password, even if the email appears to come from Carleton. These are phishing attempts in order to steal your information.
- Never share your password with others.
- When creating your password, use a minimum eight characters in length and include upper case, lower case, numbers and special characters.
- Use different passwords for your accounts. For example, do not use your Facebook password for your MyCarletonOne account.
- Change your password at least every 4 to 6 months.
Remember: ITS will NEVER ask you for your password via email.
IT Security: Our Shared Responsibility
We all have a key role to play in keeping our home computers and personal devices secure online. We also play a big part in keeping our businesses safe from cyber threats. To learn more about Cyber Security Awareness Month, check out the Get Cyber Safe and the Stay Safe Online websites.