Please beware of phishing emails circulating on campus with subject of “Are you Available” and “Good Morning” and appear to be from either the President, Dean, Chair, Director or other senior management at Carleton University. These are phishing emails and should be deleted immediately.
If you respond to these messages, you may be asked to purchase gift cards or bitcoins for the individual.
Do not accept the invitation, do not send gift cards or other monies, and do not reply or respond to the message.
If you have already responded to this email, please contact the ITS Service Desk immediately.
Always be wary of unsolicited email that asks for personal information, or tries to convince you to click on a web link to update personal information or to purchase gift cards etc. These are often phishing emails.
How can you tell if an email is a phishing attempt?
- It appears to come from the President, Dean, Chair or Director at Carleton University, targeting staff & faculty.
- It has bad or unknown email addresses.
- It asks you to purchase gift cards or bitcoins and then asks to send the details of the cards electronically.
- It asks you to send money, checks or other currency.
- It asks you for your password or directs you to a webform asking for your password.
- The subject line is in all caps.
- There is a call for immediate action – “download this now” or “confirm you email identity now” or “click on the link below”.
- There are spelling or grammatical errors in the email.
Please visit our IT security page for more tips on protecting yourself online.