Please beware of this new phishing/scam which appears to be from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and that an INTERAC e-Transfer is waiting for the student.
This campaign is currently targeting students, in an attempt to steal your personal information such as your Social Insurance Number (SIN), Address, email, credit card information, and other personal information.
See sample email of this latest Phishing/scam below:
If you have received this phishing/scam email, do not respond to it; and do not click on the link ‘Start Claim’. This email should be deleted immediately.
If you have already fallen for this scam or other similar scams, please contact Campus Safety Services immediately.
How can you tell if emails or online posts are scams?
- The sender asks to send money/or other form of money such as Bitcoin, gift cards, cheques, etc.
- Asks you for your password or directs you to a webform asking for your password
- The subject line is in all caps
- There is a call for immediate action – “download this now” or “confirm your email identity now” or “Action Required: To deposit your money, Start Claim” or “click on the link below”
- There are spelling or grammatical errors in the email
Please visit our IT security web page for more tips on protecting yourself online.