Please beware of phishing emails circulating on campus that appear to be from Payroll, with a subject of “August Payroll\Benefit Notice!”
This is not from Carleton’s Payroll department. Do not respond to it as it’s a phishing attempt.
If you clicked on this link or have already responded to this email, please change your MyCarleton One (MC1) password immediately. If you require assistance, please contact the ITS Service Desk at 613-520-3700.
See sample of phish below:
How can you tell if emails or online posts are phishing/scams?
- The sender asks to send money/or other form of money such as Bitcoin, gift cards, cheques, etc.
- Asks you for your password or directs you to a webform asking for your password
- The subject line is in all caps
- There is a call for immediate action – “download this now” or “confirm your email identity now” or “Action Required: deposit your money, Start Claim” or “click on the link below”
- There are spelling or grammatical errors in the email
Please visit our IT security web page for more tips on protecting yourself online.