The minimum requirement for admission to the master’s program is:
- a B.A. Honours degree (or the equivalent) in Philosophy, with at least B+ standing (or the equivalent).
Students who lack this background may be admitted to a Qualifying Year in order to make up deficiencies.
Students who have not successfully completed an introductory logic course in philosophy (equivalent to Carleton’s PHIL 2001) at the time of their application will be required to complete PHIL 2001 (or an equivalent) successfully prior to registration or as part of their first year of study. If required, completion of a logic course is extra to the degree requirements.
Further requirements are:
- Proficiency in English
- Proficiency in English is necessary to pursue graduate studies at Carleton University. Please refer to section 3.6 in the current graduate calendar for requirements.
- Qualifying-Year Program
- Applicants who do not hold an Honours degree (or the equivalent) will be required to register in a qualifying-year program before proceeding to the master’s program.The regulations governing the qualifying year are outlined in the General Regulations section of the Graduate Calendar.
How to Apply
M.A. Application Deadline
The Department of Philosophy will start to review applications on February 1st. After that date, we will continue to consider applications until we have reached capacity.
Online applications may also be accessed through the website of Carleton’s Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs.
Your complete application package will consist of the following:
- application form
- two letters of reference
- official transcripts of each university attended
- two writing samples (not required for Carleton undergraduates)
- statement of interest (not more than 2 pages in length)
- English language test scores (if applicable)
The application process is entirely online. Please do not send any paper documents with the exception of final transcripts. They should be sent to the following address:
Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs
512 Tory Building, Carleton University,
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
See the video below for a conversation on applying to Carleton’s Philosophy M.A., with alumna Claire French (when she was a student) and alumnus Ian MacLean-Evans.
For further program information, contact the Department of Philosophy: email@example.com