Distinguished Research Professor
|Degrees:||B.A. (Alberta), M.A. (Alberta), D. Phil. (Oxford)|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 3597|
|Office:||3A40 Paterson Hall|
Email for appointment.
Courses for 2021-22:
- PHIL 4006: Seminar in Modern Philosophy
- PHIL 5600: Topics in the History of Philosophy
Andrew Brook is Chancellor’s Professor of Philosophy and Cognitive Science and former Director of the Institute of Cognitive Science (ICS) at Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6. ICS administers a four-year undergraduate degree in Cognitive Science and Canada’s only free-standing, fully integrated Masters and Ph.D. in Cognitive Science. The ICS website contains further information and links to a selection of cognitive science sites. Brook has two degrees from the University of Alberta and a D. Phil. from Oxford University. He is a former President of the Canadian Philosophical Association and current President of the Canadian Psychoanalytic Society.
- the project of interdisciplinary cognitive research
- psychological and psychoanalytic explanation
- environmental ethics
- A Unified Theory of Consciousness . with Paul Raymont. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (supported by SSHRC Grants 410-2000-0293 and 410-2006-1571).
2009, 2010, 2011
- The Place of Philosophy in Cognitive Science. Special theme in Topics in Cognitive Science 1:2, 1:3, and 3.2, pp. 135 (edited)
- The Prehistory of Cognitive Science . Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Cognition and the Brain: The Philosophy and Neuroscience Movement . Ed. with Kathleen Akins and Steven Davis. New York and Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Self-Reference and Self-Awareness. Ed. with R. C. DeVidi. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Daniel Dennett (in the series, Contemporary Philosophy in Focus). Ed. with Don Ross. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Knowledge and Mind. with Robert Stainton. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press/A Bradford Book.
- Dennett: A Comprehensive Assessment. Ed. with D. Ross and D. Thompson. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press/A Bradford Book.
- Kant and the Mind, 2 nd edition. New York: Cambridge University Press.
Chapters and Articles
- Forthcoming. Tracking Persons is Tracking What? Topics in Cognitive Science.
- Forthcoming. Ramlahkan, N. and … . Fairness: Not a Moral Sense and Not a Foundation of a Lot of Morality. Behavioral and Brain Science.
- Forthcoming. Humeny, C, D. Kelly, and … . Further Routes to Psychological Constructionism. Behavioral and Brain Science.
- Davidson, Dennett, and the Origins of the Normative Model of Mind. In Andrew Bailey, ed., Key Thinkers in the Philosophy of Mind. London & New York: Continuum Press, pp. 189-208
- Kant’s Idealism About Time. In: Adrian Bardon and Heather Dyke, eds. A Companion to the Philosophy of Time. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, pp. 120-134
- Representation and Reality: Kant’s Two Views. In Rethinking Kant, Vol. 3. Oliver Thorndike, ed. Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, pp 219-238
- Spent Fuel a Special Problem at Fukushima: A Canadian Initiative. Ethics, Policy & Environment 14:3, pp. 301-6; a different version will appear in Turning Point, journal of Physicians for Global Survival.
- Kant’s Attack on Leibniz’ and Locke’s Amphibolies. Stephen Palmquist, ed., Kant and Cultivating Personhood. (Berlin: Walter de Gruyter), pp. 14-154.
- The Prehistory of Cognitive Science: An Overview. In C. Pléh, L. Gurova, and L. Ropolyi, eds. New Perspectives on the History of Cognitive Science, in the series C, Pléh, ed., Neurocognitive Development and Impairment. Budapest: Akadémiai Kiadó.
- Kant y las Ciencas Cognitivas. In: Pedro Jesús Teruel, ed. Kant y las Ciencas. Madrid: Biblioteca Nueva (revision and translation of 2007c)
- Unity of Consciousness, with Paul Raymont. Stanford Electronic Encyclopaedia of Philosophy .
- Unity of Consciousness: What it is and where it is found. Proceedings of the 28 th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . Mahwah, New Jersey: LEA. 1056-61.
- Kant: A Unified Theory of the Representational Base of All Consciousness. In Uriah Kriegel and Ken Williford, eds. Consciousness and Self-Reference . Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. pp. 89-110.
- My Blackberry and Me: Forever One or Just Friends?. In Nyiri, K. ed. Mobile Understanding: The Epistemology of Ubiquitous Communication . Vienna: Passagen Verlag. pp. 55-66.
- Daniel Clements Dennett. Encyclopaedia of Philosophy . 2 nd edition. London: Macmillan.
- Thought Experiments. In A. Barber and R. Stainton, eds. Encyclopaedia of Language and Linguistics . Elsevier.
- Desire, reward, feeling. Dialogue . XLV (1). pp. 157-165.
- The representational base of consciousness, with P. Raymont. PSYCHE, the electronic journal of consciousness studies .
- Making Consciousness Safe for Neuroscience. In Akins, K. and A. Brook, eds. Cognition and the Brain: The Philosophy and Neuroscience Movement . Cambridge University Press.
- Kant, Cognitive Science, and Contemporary NeoKantianism. Journal of Consciousness Studies . 11, no. 10-11. pp. 1-25.
- A new theory of the representational base of consciousness, with P. Raymont. Proceedings of the 26 th Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . New York: LEA.
- Kant’s View of the Mind and Consciousness of Self. Stanford Electronic Encyclopaedia of Philosophy .
- Freud and Kant. In M. Cheung and Colin Feltman, eds. Psychoanalytic knowledge . Palgrave Publishers Ltd. (Macmillan).
- The Moral Framework of Confidentiality and the Electronic Panoticon, with Michael Yeo. In C. Koggel, A. Furlong and C. Levin, eds. Confidentiality and Psychotherapy . Redopi Press.
- Kant and Cognitive Science. Teleskop, the electronic journal .
- Learning is always explicit, with E. Torlakovic. Proceedings of the 25 th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . New York: LEA. 732-738.
- Kant. In D. Chalmers et al. eds. Encyclopaedia of the Cognitive Sciences . London: Macmillan.
- Introduction (with Don Ross) and The Appearance of Things. In Brook, A. and D. Ross, eds. Daniel Dennett . New York and Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Consciousness: A two-by-two matrix. Advances in Cognitive Science . IV(2). pp. 22-36. Shorter version of Atomist and System Approaches to Consciousness , 2002.
- The role of consciousness in second language acquisition, with E. Torlakovic. Proceedings of the 24 th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . New York: LEA. pp. 872-877.
- Atomist and System Approaches to Consciousness, with L. Jerzykiewicz. Proceedings of the 24 th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . New York: LEA. pp. 142-147.
- Review of Anita Avramides. Other Minds. Times Literary Supplement No. 5179, July 2002 .
- Kant. Self-Reference and Self-Awareness and Introduction. In Andrew Brook and Richard DeVidi, eds. Self-Reference and Self-Awareness . Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Judgments and Drafts Eight Years Later. In D. Ross. D. Thompson and A. Brook, eds. Dennett: A Comprehensive Assessment . Cambridge, MA: MIT Press/A Bradford Book.
- Does Philosophy Have Distinctive Methods to Offer Cognitive Science?. Proceedings of the 21 st Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . New York: LEA. 102-108.
- Kant. In F. Keil and R. Wilson, eds. MIT Encyclopaedia of the Cognitive Sciences . Cambridge MA: MIT Press.
- Neuroscience versus Psychology in Freud. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. (1998) . 843. pp. 66-79.
- Critical Notice of L. Falkenstein, Kant’s Intuitionism: A Commentary on the Transcendental Aesthetic. Canadian Journal of Philosophy . 29.
- Unified Consciousness and the Self (Invited peer commentary on G. Strawson, The Self). Journal of Consciousness Studies . 5. pp. 583-91.
- Waste Management: Examples from the Nuclear Fuel Cycle. In A. W. Cragg and C. M. Koggel, eds. Contemporary Moral Issues . 4 th edition. Toronto: McGraw Hill Ryerson. 518-34. Also in A. W. Cragg and Alex Wellington, eds. Canadian Issues in Applied Environmental Ethics . Peterborough: Broadview Press, 1007, pp. 117-32.
- Reconciling the Two Images. In Sean O’Nuallain et al., eds. Two Sciences of Mind . Amsterdam: John Benjamins. pp. 299-309.
- Approaches to Abstraction: A commentary. International Journal of Educational Research . 27 (1). pp. 77-88.
- Unity of Consciousness and Other Mental Unities. Proceedings of the 19 th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . New York: Ablex Press. 875.
- Jackendoff and Consciousness. Pragmatics and Cognition . 4. 81-92.
- Fodor’s New Theory of Content and Computation, with R. S. Stainton. Proceedings of the 18 th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society . New York: Ablex Press. pp. 86-92. Also in Mind and Language 12 (3 & 4) (1997):459-74..
- Chancellor’s Professor of Philosophy, Carleton University
- Director, Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies, 1991 – 2002
- Director, Institute of Cognitive Science, 2003 –
- Associate Dean of Graduate Studies, 1979 – 80
- Clinical Member, Canadian Psychoanalytic Society
- Visiting Scholar (Queen’s) and Visiting Tutor (Balliol), University of Oxford, 1995
- Wexler Visiting Professor, Bryn Mawr College, 1998 – 9
- Visiting Professor, Dalhousie University, 2001