Philosophy of science; Political Philosophy; Philosophy of Economics
|Degrees:||Laurea (Universita' di Roma "La Sapienza"), M.Sc. (LSE), Ph.D. ( LSE)|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 4197|
|Office:||3A43 Paterson Hall|
Office Hours for 2021-22:
Email for appointment.
Courses for 2021-22:
- PHIL 3350: Philosophy, Ethics & Public Affairs
- PHIL 4008: Seminar in Contemporary Philosophy
- PHIL 5500: Topics in Contemporary Philosophy
- Philosophy of Science
- Political Philosophy
- Philosophy of Economics
‘Inductive Risk in Macroeconomics: Natural Rate Theory, Inductive Risk, and the Great Canadian Slump‘ (Economics & Philosophy, forthcoming)
‘Powerful Qualities or Pure Powers?‘ (Metaphysica, 2019).
‘Dispositions and Tricks‘ (Erkenntnis, 2016)
‘Only Powers Can Confer Dispositions‘ (The Philosophical Quarterly, 2015)
‘One’s a Crowd: Mereological Nihilism without Ordinary-Object Eliminativism‘ (Analytic Philosophy, 2014)
‘Dispositions and Interferences‘ Philosophical Studies, 2013)
‘The Junk Argument: Safe Disposal Guidelines for Mereological Universalists‘ (Analysis, 2012)
‘Do Extrinsic Dispositions Need Extrinsic Causal Bases?‘ (Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 2012)
‘Modal Truthmakers and Two Varieties of Actualism‘ (Synthese, 2010)
‘Scientific Models and Fictional Objects’ (Synthese, 2010)
‘A Note on the Nomic Possibility of a Dynamic Shift’ (Erkenntnis, 2008)
‘Scientific Representation, Interpretation, and Surrogative Reasoning’ (Philosophy of Science, 2007)
‘There are Kinds and Kinds of Kinds: Ben-Yami on the Semantics of Natural Kind Terms’ (Philosophical Studies, 2007)
‘Constructive Empiricism, Observability, and Three Kinds of Ontological Commitment’ (Studies in History and Philosophy of Science, 2006)
- Book Chapters
- ‘Scientific Models and Representation‘ (in J. Saatsi and S. French(eds.) The Continuum Companion to the Philosophy of Science, Continuum Press, 2011).
- ‘Keeping Track of Neurath’s Bill: Abstract Concepts, Stock Models, and the Unity of Classical Physics‘ (with Nancy Cartwright and Sheldon Steed) (in J. Symons, O. Pombo (ed.),The Unity of Science: Essays in Honor of Otto Neurath, Kluwer, 2011).
- ‘Who is Afraid of Imaginary Objects?’ (in D. Jacquette and N. Griffin (eds.) Russell vs Meinong: The Legacy of ‘On Denoting’, Routledge, 2008).
- ‘Does Your Metaphysics Need Structure?‘ Analysis73: 715–721, 2013 (as part of a book symposium on Ted Sider‘s Writing the Book of the World, OUP, 2011).*
- ‘Sweet Nothings‘, Analysis 72: 354–366, 2012 (as part of a book symposium on Jody Azzouni‘s Talking About Nothing: Numbers, Hallucinations and Fictions, OUP, 2010).
- ‘Empiricist Structuralism and Metaphysical Antirealism‘, Analysis, 70: 514–524, 2010 (as part of a book symposium on Bas van Fraassen‘s Scientific Representation: Paradoxes of Perspective, OUP, 2008).
- Guest Editor, Synthese, 172 (2) (Special Issue: The Ontology of Scientific Models), 2010.