Areas of Interest
Political economy, Canadian society, social stratification, the labour process; case studies of class formation and the labour process in mining and fishing; national survey of class structure and gender in Canada, with a comparison to Finland, Norway, Sweden, and the United States; class and the state in Canada, Australia, Sweden, Japan, West Germany, and the United Kingdom; comparative labour market policies and practices.
- Relations of Ruling: Class and Gender in Postindustrial Societies (co-authored with John Myles). Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, pp. xiii, 297 (1994). (Winner of the 1995 Harold Adams Innis Book Prize awarded by the Social Science Federation of Canada)
- Understanding Canada: Building on the New Canadian Political Economy, Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, pp. 408 (1997).
- Changing Canada: Political Economy as Transformation, (edited with Leah Vosko), Montreal: McGill-Queen‚s University Press (accepted for publication, forthcoming 2002).
- ” ‘Who Works’ Comparing Labour Market Practices” in Reconfigurations of Class and Gender, edited by Janeen Baxter and Mark Western. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, Chapter 5, pp. 55-80 (2001).
- “Canadian Political Economy’s Legacy for Sociology,” Special Issue “Legacy for a New Millennium” edited by Harry H. Hiller, Canadian Journal of Sociology 26:3, Summer, pp. 405-420 (2001).