Payment is not accepted on campus.
Please see below for the two options to make a payment from outside of Canada. To make a payment to your Student account in Canadian dollars from a Canadian bank account, please use one of the approved payment methods from within Canada and not one of the options below.
NOTE: Payment should be for Tuition Fees ONLY. In the event your account is in a refund position, we must send the refund back to the original sender’s account. Refunds will use the exchange rate valid at the time the refund is processed. Student Accounts will not issue a refund in Canadian funds.
International wire payments is not an approved payment method.
- CIBC International Student Pay
CIBC International Student Pay
Our preferred method for international payment is CIBC International Student Pay for Students. Carleton University has partnered with CIBC to provide a fast, easy and affordable way to pay tuition fee costs in a student’s local currency. This platform allows you to pay locally from your home bank. Saving money on exchange rates and banking fees, ensuring the full value of your payment reaches Carleton University.
Powered by the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
As an international student, making payments is faster and easier than ever before. With the CIBC International Student Pay secure online portal, you can now pay your student fees in your preferred currency from anywhere in the world at any time. You do not need to go to a CIBC bank branch or have a CIBC bank account to use this service.
Pay your Tuition Online, with Competitive FX Rates and $0 Transfer Fees!
Use CIBC International Student Pay to pay your tuition and school fees directly online in your home currency and get access to digital payment methods and e-wallets, with over 130+ payment currencies supported, access to the most competitive exchange rates and no transfer fees!
CIBC International Student Pay Supports your Preferred Payment Methods
Payments are quick and easy to make from the International Student Online Platform. Tutorial videos in English and other languages are also available.
- Accessing CIBC International Student Pay for Students via Carleton/Student Accounts will ensure that your name and student number have been attached to your payment. Login to Carleton Central opens in new window. From the home page, navigate to Registration, then Student Accounts and click on the International Currency Transfer link to be redirected to the International Student Pay to set up your payment.
- Enter your payment details:
- Select either Yes or No under Agent Details.
- Select the country the funds will be transferred from.
- Enter the amount you want to pay in Canadian dollars (CAD). Select Next.
- Select your payment options.
- Confirm student details are accurate. Select Next.
- Complete your payment:
- If you paid via credit card, debit card. China Union Pay or ACH, your payment is complete and no further action is required from you/
- If you paid via bank wire, you have 72 hours to go to your local bank to complete the transfer. You need to bring your payment quote from the CIBC International StudentPay portal.
- Select guest or login to your CIBC ISP Account. Review and agree to the terms and conditions. Proceed to payment.
Benefits of Using CIBC International StudentPay:
- Enhanced student experience: Easily make a payment in your preferred currency.
- Access to live foreign exchange rates: With CIBC International StudentPay you’ll have access to the competitive foreign exchange rates CIBC is providing to Carleton University.
- End-to-end communication: You will receive detailed instructions and have the ability to track the status of your payment through the CIBC International StudentPay platform.
Please contact CIBC International StudentPay Support. They can be reached by:
- Calling from India (toll-free): +1800121661661
- Calling from North America (toll-free): +18446378898
- Calling from anywhere else in the world: +919071373838
- Email: email@example.com
You can see the status of your payment at any time by selecting Track Your Payments on the CIBC International StudentPay portal.
- Convera (formerly WUBS GlobalPay)
Carleton University has partnered with Convera (formerly WUBS GlobalPay) to provide a fast, easy and affordable way to pay tuition and other fee costs in a student’s local currency. This platform allows you to pay locally from your home bank, saving money on exchange rates and banking fees, ensuring the full value of your payment reaches Carleton University.
Step 1: Access Convera
- Accessing Convera’s platform via Carleton Central/Student Accounts will ensure that your name and student number have been attached to your payment.
- Login to Carleton Central and navigate to Registration, then Student Accounts and click on the International Currency Payment link to be redirected to the Convera’s platform to set up your payment.
Step 2: Enter Details
- Choose the country you’re paying from and enter your payment amount in Canadian dollars. Uncheck the ‘include’ box for empty fields. Get quote.
- Your payment is shown in both Canadian dollars and your local currency. Select your payment method.
- Confirm student details are accurate. Select next.
- Your quote valid for 72 hours will be emailed to you. You can also print it by selecting print instructions.
Step 3: Make Payment
Complete your student payment transaction based on the payment method you selected within 72 hours.
- Online, or
- Bank Transfer, or
Step 4: Track It
- Track your payment status by email and SMS (data rates may apply)
Important: Each new payment requires a new quote.
NOTE: In the event your account is in a refund position, we must send the refund back to the original sender’s account. Refunds will use the exchange rate valid at the time the refund is processed. Student Accounts will not issue a refund in Canadian funds.
Payment Video – English
Payment videos in other languages are also available.
For general inquiries about the payment process, please contact Convera at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-223-9392. For questions regarding your Carleton University student account, please contact email@example.com or call 613-520-2600 x 3626.
- Frequently Asked Questions
What kinds of fees can I pay using one of these international payment methods?
The amount being transferred to Carleton University should be only for tuition, fees and other charges on your student account. Tuition and fee charges are expected to be paid by the fee payment deadlines. Refer to Carleton Central for the most current balance on your student account. Additional amounts for personal expenses should not be sent to Carleton University. Should your student account have a valid credit balance due to course changes, our office will follow the standard refund policy.
If I pay in my local currency, will the university receive Canadian (CAD) dollars?
Yes. The full value of your payment is delivered to Carleton University in Canadian dollars (CAD).
How can I find out the amount I owe in my local currency?
Once you have selected your country from the drop-down list, and the amount you want to pay in Canadian dollars (CAD), the quote will automatically display the amount due in your local currency.
What do I do if my currency is not available?
If your currency isn’t available, you can complete your payment in another major currency including USD, EUR, GBP, etc…
What do I do if some information was missed by my bank when transferring the payment?
If your bank forgot to include your payment reference number, there is a possibility that your payment will be delayed.
If you used CIBC International StudentPay, please contact them immediately by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you used Convera (formerly WUBS GlobalPay), please contact them immediately by email at email@example.com.
Please have the following information available:
Transaction Reference Number
Date of Transaction
How long does it take for the payment to be deposited into the University’s account?
On average, transactions made online will be processed within 14 days.
You can see the status of your payment anytime if you paid by CIBC International StudentPay by selecting Track your Payments on the CIBC International StudentPay portal.
Why do I have to complete my payment within 72 hours?
If you are making an online payment directly on the portal, your transaction is considered final. For bank wires, the foreign exchange market is dynamic, and prices are changing continuously.
To protect you from this volatility, CIBC International StudentPay and Convera (formerly WUBS GlobalPay) are able to offer protection for a period of 72 hours, excluding weekends and Canadian holidays. You have 72 hours to go to your local bank to submit the bank wire.
What happens if I bring the quote to my bank after the 72 hour time frame?
After 72 hours, the exchange rate listed on your quote will no longer be valid. You will need to return to Carleton Central to initiate a new quote.
CIBC Specific Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay in a currency other than my local currency?
Yes. We recommend using your home currency because of the preferred foreign exchange rates CIBC International StudentPay offers, but you do have the option to make payments in USD, CAD, and other major currencies.
How will I know when my payment is received?
You will receive an email notification from CIBC International StudentPay advising you that your funds have been received and processed. Please allow 14 days for your payment to be processed by the finance team at Carleton.
You can see the status of your payment at any time by selecting Track your Payments on the CIBC International StudentPay portal.
I lost my instruction sheet. How can I get another copy of it?
You can view your instruction sheet by logging into the CIBC International StudentPay portal and clicking on the Transaction History page to resend the instruction sheet. Your instruction sheet will then be emailed to the email address we have on file.
Convera (formerly WUBS GlobalPay) Specific Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of using the Convera’s platform?
Convera provides the following benefits:
- You make payment in the currency of your choice. This amount is then converted to Canadian dollars and applied to your Carleton University student account.
- There are NO transaction charges from Convera or Carleton University, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
- The exchange rate quote is valid for 72 hours after the transaction is initiated.
- The exchange rate is competitive when compared to your financial institution’s retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the transaction is initiated as a local transfer.
- Payments include your reference information to ensure your payment reaches your Carleton University student account quickly, typically two to five business days after your bank initiates payment.
Currencies Accepted for International Currency Transfer
The following local currencies can be used to initiate a transfer. Additionally, major currencies, such as USD or EUR can be used if local currency is not available.
Africa Currency Code Jordanian Dollar JOD Kenyan Shilling KES Moroccan Dirham MAD Namibian Dollar NAD South African Rand ZAR Tunisian Dinar TND Asia Currency Code Chinese Yuan* CNY Hong Kong HKD Dollar Indian Rupee** INR Japanese Yen JPY Korean Won KRW Singapore Dollar SGD Thai Bhat THB Malaysia MYR Australia / Oceania Currency Code Australian Dollar AUD New Zealand Dollar NZD Tahitian (Central Polynesian) Franc XPF Europe**** Currency Code British Pound GBP Czech Republic Koruna CZK Danish Krone DKK Euro (Main)*** EUR Hungarian Forint HUF Norwegian Krone NOK Polish Zloty PLN Romanian Leu RON Swedish Krona SEK Swiss Franc CHF Middle East Currency Code Bahrain Dinar BHD Israeli Shekel ILS Kuwaiti Dinar KWD Omani Rial OMR Qatari Rial QAR Saudi Riyal SAR Turkish Lira TRY United Arab Emirates Dirham AED North America Currency Code Canadian Dollar CAD Mexican Peso MXN United States Dollar (Main) USD South America Currency Code Brazilian Real BRL Chilean Peso CLP
* Students in China can utilize CITIC Bank in person or ChinaPay/UnionPay online. ** Students in India can utilize ICICI Bank, Weizmann Forex Ltd, or Paul Merchants Ltd. *** Which countries use the euro? The euro is the official currency of the sixteen countries of the European Monetary Union: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Spain. The euro is also the official currency of Andorra, Kosovo, Monaco, Montenegro, San Marino, the Vatican City (Holy See) and the following French territories: Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Mayotte, Martinique, Réunion, and St Pierre et Miquelon. Additionally, the following countries allow euro accounts and electronic payments in euro: Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. **** We’re also pleased to share that we have launched a new payment option for students paying from Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK. We now accept payments through SOFORT; which allows online payments directly from a bank account.
Share: Twitter, Facebook
Short URL: https://carleton.ca/studentaccounts/?p=2643