About the Program
“You don’t know about all the potential job opportunities in the art world until you start working in it yourself.”
– Taylor Simard, BA Art History student
THE UNDERGRADUATE PRACTICUM offers students a unique opportunity to work on-site in one of the capital’s major art museums or cultural institutions.
Students with third year standing or above can enroll in the department’s practicum program for up to two semesters, gaining hands-on experience in museum, gallery, or archival work.
Recent institutions to host Carleton students include the National Gallery of Canada, the Canadian Museum of History, the Library and Archives Canada, the Ottawa Art Gallery, and CUAG (Carleton University’s own on-site gallery). Projects undertaken by students have included research for exhibition catalogues, curatorial work, interviews with artists, and the writing of public information texts.
- Fall Practicum – July 31
- Winter Practicum – November 21
- Summer Practicum – March 31
Work Placement Forms
- Request an override for the course via Carleton Central.
- Prepare a resume and have it reviewed by Career Services’ Drop-In Review Service. This step is required! The resume must be polished and tailored to the desired job.
- Email application form and polished resume to email@example.com before the deadline.
- Once the applications have been received, a match will be suggested and your application will be forwarded to an institution.
- If the institution is interested, the on-site supervisor will interview you and contact the school with their decision
- If you are accepted, the Undergraduate Administrator will approve your course override. You should then enroll in the course via Carleton Central.
- Meet with the on-site supervisor to determine your hours and core duties and to fill out the required forms. You must give the completed forms to the Undergraduate Administrator (SP 423) no later than the first week of the semester
Once you have been accepted to the Practicum program, please follow the instructions below:
All Carleton University students who are participating in unpaid placements that are part of their course requirements must fill out the two forms below.Please note: If you are not a registered student, you are not eligible for insurance coverage.
Step 1: Students must print and complete both forms:
- Unpaid Placements – Letter to Placement Employers
- Unpaid Placements – Student Declaration of Understanding and Agreement
Step 2: Students must return the signed forms to their departmental co-ordinator no later than Oct. 15 (fall term), Feb. 15 (winter term) and June 15 (summer term).
Step 3: Students must obtain health and safety training from their placement employer.
Note: Students must obtain health and safety training from their placement employer. Please report any health and safety concerns related to unpaid work placements to your departmental co-ordinator and the Office of Risk Management, at firstname.lastname@example.org.