Building your Resume, Cover Letter, or CV?
A polished and targeted resume and cover letter are essential to your job search. We can help you develop well-crafted documents that can create a great first impression and increase your chances of landing an interview.
Check out the following resources below to get started:
When creating your resume and cover letter, you will want to:
- Highlight your skills, as employers look for transferable skills relevant for the job
- Phrase your bullet points using action-based SAR statements to highlight your skills, experience and accomplishments
- Use Action Verbs which relate to the skills set you are hoping to display
- Always tailor your resume and cover letter for each position
- Proofread your documents to ensure they are free of spelling and grammatical errors
- Drop-in to the Career Services office in 401 Tory for a review!
- Compare the 3 Types of Resumes to help you decide which template works best for you.
- A Chronological Resume emphasizes your work history and professional achievements over time in increasingly expert positions.
- A Skills-based Resume emphasizes your skills and education as they relate to the position you are applying for.
- A Combined Resume emphasizes your work experience as well as skills, accomplishments and achievements gained in other areas.
- Use the Cover Letter Template to build a targetted and polished cover letter for each position you apply to.
- Review Tips on Cover Letters to make your cover letter stand out!
- Unsure whether to use a Resume or CV? Find out here!
- Review our CV Template and get Tips on Writing a CV to help you format and write your CV for academic or research positions.
In-person Review Services
Visit our Career Services office in 401 Tory Building for drop-in Resume, CV, and Cover Letter reviews which include:
- Reviewing resume and cover letter for structure and organization – bring in a hard or digital copy!
- Providing feedback regarding written content, including SAR statements
- Supporting your efforts to tailor your resume to specific job requirements – bring in a job posting with your resume!
Drop-in to Career Services in 401 Tory!
- If you have any questions, visit us Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (613) 520-6611