Building your Resume, Cover Letter, or CV?
A polished and targeted resume and cover letter are essential to your job search. We can help you develop well-crafted documents that can create a great first impression and increase your chances of landing an interview.
Check out the following resources below to get started:
- Quick Tips
- Cover Letters
- Academic CVs
- In-Person Review Services
- Learn about how Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) affects online applications and how to make your resume/cover letter ATS compatible
When creating your resume and cover letter, you will want to:
- Highlight your skills, as employers look for transferable skills relevant for the job
- Phrase your bullet points using action-based SAR statements to highlight your skills, experience and accomplishments
- Use Action Verbs which relate to the skills set you are hoping to display
- Always tailor your resume and cover letter for each position
- Proofread your documents to ensure they are free of spelling and grammatical errors
- Visit the Career Services office in 401 Tory for a review!
- Compare the 3 Types of Resumes to help you decide which template works best for you.
- A Chronological Resume emphasizes your work history and professional achievements over time in increasingly expert positions.
- A Skills-based Resume emphasizes your skills and education as they relate to the position you are applying for.
- A Combined Resume emphasizes your work experience as well as skills, accomplishments and achievements gained in other areas.
- Use the Cover Letter Template to build a targeted and polished cover letter for each position you apply to.
- Review Tips on Cover Letters to make your cover letter stand out!
- Unsure whether to use a Resume or CV? Find out here!
- Review our CV Template and get Tips on Writing a CV to help you format and write your CV for academic or research positions.
In-person Review Services
Book an appointment online for Resume, CV, and Cover Letter reviews which includes:
- Reviewing resume and cover letter for structure and organization – bring in a hard or digital copy!
- Providing feedback regarding written content, including SAR statements
- Supporting your efforts to tailor your resume to specific job requirements – bring in a job posting with your resume!
Visit Career Services in 401 Tory!
- For in-person support, visit the Career Centre in 401 Tory Building Monday to Friday, from 1p.m. to 4p.m (last check in at 3:30 p.m.). To book an appointment, either virtual or in-person, please contact us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), phone (613-520-6611), or live chat.
Applicant Tracking Software (ATS)
- ATS (Applicant Tracking Software) is a software application extensively used by recruiters and HR professionals to screen and organize candidate profiles during the hiring cycle.
- From a job seeker’s perspective, an ATS is a tool that screens candidate resumes for specific keywords, experience, background, or training when they apply for a job posting. This, along with candidate contact information, resume, and cover letter, is uploaded to a database. HR personnel then use this candidate file to screen candidates, contact them, schedule interviews and eventually hire them.