Job Search and Networking
Job searching is a process. Check out the following resources below to help you move forward in your job search journey. Are you…
- Looking for quick tips for your job hunt?
- Interested in alternative employment?
- Looking for a summer job?
- Looking to build your connections?
- Attending a career or networking event?
- Using social media in your job search?
- An international student?
- Looking for jobs in the government?
Job Search Tips
- Target your job search! Use Getting Started on Your Job Search to identify your interests, skills, and values to find employment that is meaningful for you.
- Where are jobs most commonly found? Check 4 Stages of a Job Posting and the Job Seeking Hiring Pyramid.
- Did you know that most jobs are not posted online? Learn about the The Hidden Job Market here.
- Check out the City of Ottawa e-Blue Book which provides a list of services in the city to help you identify places you may be interested in.
Alternative Ways to Get Experience
- Learn how Volunteering can kickstart your career.
- Curious about being your own boss? Self-Employment & Entrepreneurship can be an extremely rewarding way to make a living!
- Take the Entrepreneurial Potential Self-Assessment by Business Development Canada (BDC).
There are many options when exploring summer employment. Check out our Summer Employment Programs Guide.
In addition to exploring postings on mySuccess and attending job fairs, you may be eligible to participate in various summer employment programs, including:
- The Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP)
- City of Ottawa Summer Student Employment
- Ontario Internship Program
- Canada Summer Jobs – Service Canada
- Young Canada Works – Heritage Canada
- Summer Experience Program – Government of Ontario
- Ontario Summer Job Service – Government of Ontario
Build your Connections
- Get started with learning What is Networking? and why it’s important.
- Dispel common Networking Myths.
- Read Make the Most of Networking Events to prepare for events such as career fairs, networking nights and employer recruitment sessions!
- Organize your connections using the Networking Timeline.
- Use the Writing an Approach Email template to connect with industry professionals and potential contacts.
- Connect with professionals and learn about your career options by conducting Information Interviews.
- Prepare and get ideas using the Sample Questions for an Information Interview.
Career Fairs, Networking Nights, and Other Career Services Events
- Prepare for the Fair! Get tips for before, during, and after the fair with Career Fair Preparation
- Make a great first impression by creating your own professional Networking Cards to use when connecting with employers at events!
- Want to stay up-to-date on upcoming events? Check out our Events page or view our Calendar on mySuccess!
Using Social Media in your Job Search
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist and Tip Sheet provides an overview of the basics of a LinkedIn profile and what to include.
- Use LinkedIn as a networking tool to build your professional connections Networking Effectively Using LinkedIn.
- Find more resources such as additional tip sheets and videos at LinkedIn for Students.
- Download the LinkedIn Students app for iOS or Android to get a head start on exploring your career options.
Information for International Students
- Looking for work in Canada? Check out this Guide for International Students.
- Visit our International Students page to find information on our workshops, programs and services specially designed for international students!
Working in Government
- Do you want to work in the government/public service? Check out our guide for Public Service Recruitment!
- GovJobs | Government of Canada Job Bank | Federal Public Service | Ontario Public Service
Additional Job Search & Networking Resources
- LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network which helps you stay connected with your peers and colleagues, stay informed on opportunities at your favourite companies, as well as follow industry and career trends.
- Ten Thousand Coffees provides you with the opportunity to browse your community by industry, organization and location and connect with individuals or groups for insights and advice over a cup of coffee.
Visit Career Services in 401 Tory!
- If you have any questions, visit us Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (613) 520-6611