- Use the same font type and size as your resumé, as they are a matching set;
- Address your letter to an individual rather than a department. If required, call the company directly to identify the hiring manager by name;
- Write the cover letter in the ‘first person’;
- Explain the link between your experiences and skills and the needs of the employer, using concrete examples;
- Demonstrate your enthusiasm for the company and the industry; describe reasons why you are seeking employment with this company;
- Proofread! Check your cover letter for spelling and grammar, read it out loud;
- In closing, thank the hiring manager for considering you for the job and state that you are available for an interview;
Remember… it’s up to you to connect the dots for the employer. Provide concrete and relevant examples of your qualifications and explain how the employer will attain value in hiring you.