Carleton University has a strong commitment to embedding continuous environmental and sustainable improvement into our operations. We continue to look to find new and innovate ways to demonstrate our sustainability leadership in research, teaching, learning and operations. This commitment allow us to reduce our collective impact while ensuring that both existing and future generations of students, staff and faculty continue to enjoy our unique campus.
Milestones and Achievements
- Since 2005, Carleton has reduced green-house gas carbon emissions by 35 per cent and energy use intensity by 21 per cent.
- Carleton achieved “Silver” in its latest STARS (Sustainability Tracking and Ranking System) assessment.
- The Carleton Building Performance Research Centre, advances state of the art building and community design and operations, while improving comfort and usability. The Centre has over 40 graduate students and community/industry partners.
- Carleton ranked 33rd and second in Canada among over 700 universities in the UI Green Metrics international ranking system for sustainability.
- The university’s Dining Services purchases 25 per cent of its food supplies from local and humane food sources.
Click here to link to our main Sustainability Carleton site.