Assistant / Associate Professor position available
Academic Unit: industrial Design
Category of Appointment: Preliminary (Tenure-track)
Rank/Position Title: Assistant / Associate Professor
Start Date: July 1, 2022
Closing Date: January 28, 2022
The School of Industrial Design invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor position, depending on the level of qualification and experience. Qualified candidates must have a professional degree in industrial design as well as an advanced degree in design or a related field (PHD preferred but not required). We are looking for an educator with a minimum of 5 years of experience in both design research and teaching with professional / applied experience.
About the Academic Unit
The School of Industrial Design (https://carleton.ca/id/) is well respected in North America and internationally and is strategically located within the Faculty of Engineering and Design. The school offers a Bachelor of Industrial Design (BID) program and a Master of Design (MDes) program focused on interdisciplinary design development. Graduates have an excellent reputation and hold key positions of design in many parts of the world.
The position involves:
• undergraduate teaching of lectures and studio, at all levels of the program
• ongoing research and peer-review publications, creative activity, and a developing record of research scholarship
• graduate teaching and supervision of Master of Design students
• contributing to the future development of the curriculum and research areas in interdisciplinary design
• building interdisciplinary ties across the University and external design community
• service on School, Faculty, and University committees
Applicants should possess:
• degree in applied industrial design, a master’s degree or higher in industrial design or a related
• field (PHD preferred)
• demonstrated excellence in teaching, research, and professional activities
• minimum of five (5) years of experience in teaching design studios and related courses in design theory
• graduate training and supervisory experience
• distinct research focus and record of publication preferred
• experience working within interdisciplinary teams
• portfolio of personal projects related to industrial design that may include product, service, experience, and system design
• portfolio of student work related to industrial design that may include product, service, experience, and system design
Applicants should submit:
• a letter of interest stating academic and pedagogical objectives
• a Curriculum Vitae
• five (5) samples of published work (this can include papers, articles, patents, awards, examples of commercial work)
• a design portfolio clearly identifying personal professional and student work
• three letters of reference*
Please provide a statement that identifies your strengths in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in your discipline and on campus as well as your future plans.
Please indicate in your application if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
*Special Note: Three (3) letters of reference will be required for candidates who are contacted after the first review of applications. Applicants should submit an application electronically by January 28, 2022 to: https://cusid.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/64667.
Inquiries may be directed to: Anna Kim, School Administrator, School of Industrial Design, Carleton University at firstname.lastname@example.org.