The portfolio should provide the best examples of creative intellectual activity and recent professional work.
The portfolio must be submitted via SlideRoom. If you have your own portfolio website you will be prompted to enter the URL during your Slideroom submission.
The portfolio should provide the best examples of creative intellectual activity and recent professional work that indicates the applicant is sufficiently prepared to pursue studies in the program. These activities may be represented by proposals, reports, and/or analysis documents. Emphasis should be placed on evidence of understanding the communication of design ideas in visual form.
The portfolio should contain 1 example of academic writing or technical writing work. There are no restrictions or limitations on the writing sample. We want to see your writing style and experience. Most applicants submit about a page.
Technical Specifications for Slideroom
The portfolio should not exceed 20 images and should include a 1-2 pages explanation of what the images represent. Also, include 1 example of writing work.
Your portfolio format can be:
- One compiled .pdf portfolio. Please limit to 20 images and 1-2 pages explanation of what the images represent. Also, include 1 example of writing work.
- Maximum of 20 individual images; 1-2 pages explanation of what the images represent; 1 example of writing work Please upload 1 (one) image at a time. Images may be submitted in horizontal and/or vertical orientation. Images larger than 1280 x 1280 x 72 PPI will be resized.
- A combination of individual images, videos, documents, and including 1 writing example. Please upload 1 image at a time and do not exceed 20 images. Add a 1-2 pages explanation of the visual materials submitted. Videos should not exceed 2 minutes, or they will NOT be reviewed in their entirety. You should limit your video submissions to a maximum of 2 videos.
Acceptable File Types:
- Images: .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, .tga
- Videos: .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .wmv, .flv, .asf, .mpeg, .mpg, .mkv
- Documents: .pdf
Acceptable File Sizes:
- Images must be under 5 MB (images that exceed 1280 x 1280 x 72 PPI will be resized).
- Videos must be less than 250 MB in size (videos should not exceed 2 minutes).
- Documents must be less than 10 MB.
SlideRoom Support has a great file and image size page for the Portfolio upload – Working with Media and Your Portfolio. You can upload images with any dimensions, as SlideRoom resizes images larger than 1280 x 1280 x 72 PPI. Images and videos are subject to be compressed to be displayed properly in SlideRoom.
Submit portfolio samples online using Slideroom. Additional instructions will be available after logging into Slideroom.
Slideroom will be available starting September 1. Please note there is a $10(US) administration fee to set up a Slideroom account.