Associate Professor, School of Public Policy and Administration
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 2580|
|Office:||5211 Richcraft Hall|
Teaching Concentration: Policy Analysis
Courses Taught: Introduction to State and Society, Multiculturalism Policy, Research Methods and Design, Policy Institutions and Processes, Public Policy Analysis
- “The paradox of hegemony and the ‘Multiculturalism of the individual’,” Canadian Ethnic Studies 51, no. 2 (2019): 153-68. The published version is available, behind a wall, here.* The “Accepted Manuscript” (my final submitted version), is available here. *(Those with access to Carleton University Library journals may access it free of charge here.)
- “‘Technocracy,’ democracy … and corruption and trust”, Policy sciences, 2018 The official version is available, behind a wall, here.* The “Accepted Manuscript” (my final submitted version), is available here. * (Those with access to Carleton University Library journals may access it free of charge here.)
- “Does Canadian Multiculturalism survive through state repression?,” Nationalism and Ethnic Politics 22, no. 3 (2016): 342-50. The published version is available, behind a wall, here.* The “Accepted Manuscript” (my final submitted version), is available here. *(Those with access to Carleton University Library journals may access it free of charge here.)
- “Positivism: Paradigm or culture?,” Policy Studies, 2015. The official version is available, behind a wall, here.* The “Accepted Manuscript” (my final submitted version), is available here. * (Those with access to Carleton University Library journals may access it free of charge here.)
- After the New Atheist debate (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2014)
- “The multicultural state and the religiously neutral state: Comment on Cliteur,” International Journal of Constitutional Law, 12, no.2 (2014): 457-463. Abstract
- “Can We Regain’ Truth and Objectivity? A Reply to Baillie and Meckler,” Journal of Management Inquiry 23, no.2 (2014): 133-36.
- “Stout, Rawls, and the idea of public reason,” Journal of Religious Ethics 43, no.2 (2014): 540 562. (Abstract).
- “Our multiculturalism: Reflections in the key of Rawls,” in The Multiculturalism Question: Debating Identity in 21st Century Canada, ed. Jack Jedwab (Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press): 2014.
- “The per-vote subsidy: it’s the best deal in town,” Hill Times, 6 June, 2011.
- “Canada’s great national itch: Debating multiculturalism,” Fedcan Blog, 28 February, 2011.
- “Multiculturalism, Multicultiphobia and Pluralism,” Fedcan Blog, 13 December 2010.
- Taming Memory. Presentation to the opening plenary of the Canadian Studies Association annual conference. Toronto, 4 November 2010.
- Beware ‘Shared memory’ . Canadian Issues, 2010.
- Multicultiphobia. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2010.
This interview with Embassy magazine provides a good introduction to the book.
- Multiculturalism and Extremism? Four Questions. Metropolis (On-line)
- This is the moment to reform government spending on PR, Globe and Mail (Online edition). April 20, 2005
- “Meckler and Baillie on truth and objectivity,” Journal of Management Inquiry 14, no.2 (2005): 120-26. (Abstract).
- “The policy sciences and the unmasking turn of mind,” Review of Policy Research 21, no. 5 (2004): 715-28. (Abstract).
- “The Problem with Holocaust Talk,” Briarpatch 32, no. 10, December 2003, p. 30.
- Foreign Policy and the Culture of Complaint, Policy Options, September 2003.
- “Pastoral power in the age of partnership: Health Canada and the Jr. Jays Club,” Canadian Review of Social Policy, no. 51 (2003).
- “Ethics and Resignation: A Classroom Exercise,” The Journal of Policy Analysis and Management22, no. 2 (2003): 313-15.
- “Incrementalism: A Classroom Exercise,” The Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 22, no. 2 (2003): 315-18
- “Stanley Fish’s case for speech regulation: A critique ,” Canadian Journal of Higher Education 31, no.2 (2001): 167-82. (Excerpt.)
- “Comment: Gare, MacIntyre, and Tradition,” Environmental Ethics 22, no.2 (Summer 2000).
- Comment: Simeon on sovereignty, Policy Options, April 2000.
- “Structure, Agency, and the Nicaraguan Revolution,” Theory and Society 29, no. 2 (Apr. 2000): 187- 213.
- “Discourse, Democracy (and Socialism?): A Reading of Habermas’s Between Facts and Norms,” Studies in Political Economy (Fall 1999).
- “The Backlash Against Multiculturalism Revisited” [Response to Jonathan Kay] Policy Options, September 1998, pp. 54-55.
- “Subverting Government Business,” The Canadian Forum 77, no. 871, July/August 1998, pp. 14-19.
[Reprinted as: “Compromising Partnerships,” in Words in Common: Essays for Canadians on Language, Culture and Society, ed. Gillian Thomas (Toronto: Addison Wesley Longman, 1999)].
- “Communication: On David Schlosberg’s ‘Communicative Action in Practice’,” Political Studies(1997) XLV, 853-54.
- Review of Hungry Dreams: The Failure of Food Policy in Revolutionary Nicaragua 1979- 1990, by Brizio N. Biondi-Morra. In Economic Development and Cultural Change, April 1997, pp. 453- 56.
- “On Political Correctness: Comment on Loury,” Rationality and Society 8, no. 3, August 1996, pp. 353-57. (Pre-publication version).
- “Was Bloom PC?,” Canadian Review of American Studies, 26, no. 2, Spring 1996, 1-26. (Excerpt).
- The Fall and Rise of the Market in Sandinista Nicaragua. Montreal: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 1995. (Excerpt from Introduction).
- The day Mr. Snobelen let the cat out of the bag. Globe and Mail, October 10, 1995.
- “Of Miniature Mila and Flying Geese: Government Advertising and Canadian Democracy,” in How Ottawa Spends, ed. Susan Phillips. Ottawa: Carleton University Press, 1995.
- Duet for Peasant and Socialist Revolutionary, with Obbligato Feminism: Lessons of the Nicaraguan Case, Studies in Political Economy no. 46, Spring 1995, pp. 79-112.
- Review of Stalinism in Crisis, by Robert Knight. In Left History 1, no. 1, Spring 1993, pp. 144-146.
- “Market Reforms and Democratization: The Dilemmas of Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union,” Studies in Political Economy no. 34, Spring 1991, pp. 29-52.
- Peace and recovery: New president must live up to high expectations. Ottawa Citizen, April 25, 1990.
- “Nicaragua’s Economy: The Dilemmas of a Revolution at War,” Canadian Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Studies 11, no. 22, 1986, pp. 37-58.
- “Teoría y Política de Precios en Nicaragua.” Working paper of the Departamento de Economía Agrícola, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Nicaragua, Managua, 1987.