Within your first two weeks of being a part of the Carleton academic community, we understand that it can be a big period of adjustment. Therefore to provide you with further support and assistance, below are the listed areas of support that Carleton University has to offer.
Your Talent Acquisition team will reach out to you to schedule your HR Orientation that will cover:
- Introduction to Carleton
- Signing confidentiality/mandatory training acknowledgement
- Payroll, benefits, and pension overview (completing all forms)
- Carleton Staff Perks
- Heathy Workplace Workshops/Events and Lunchtime Activities
- Fitness and recreational opportunities via Carleton Athletics
- Free Tuition Benefit for full-time faculty (and family)
- Various services on campus
Overview and assignment of administrative, teaching and/or research responsibilities, including:
- Teaching assignments
- Teaching supports including teaching assistants (as appropriate)
- Lab requirements (as appropriate)
ITS (Information Technology Services)
If you are having any challenges with your logins or technology, contact ITS or your contact for technology support in your Department/Dean’s/UL’s office.
Mandatory Training Requirements
- AODA Training (Carleton Central)
- AODA Employment Standards and Communications Standards Training (Brightspace)
- Worker Health and Safety Training (Brightspace)
- Workplace Violence and Harassment Prevention Training
- COVID-19: Infection Prevention and Control (Brightspace)
- Supervisor Health & Safety Awareness (Brightspace)
Additional mandatory safety training (i.e., WHMIS), depending on the nature of your role
Pick up your campus card from Campus Card Office (407 University Centre). This is your identification and library card, and will allow key card access to certain meeting rooms, labs, and buildings.
Enrol in the campus wide emergency notification on Carleton Central and download the CU App to your smartphone. Review Carleton’s emergency procedures and learn the Safe Destination Sites of your buildings.
Research Financial Services
For Researchers, your research start-up funds (from OVPRI, Dean’s office, and Academic Unit) will be created shortly after your start date. You will receive an email with the subject “Notice of award”. This email will include the relevant information for your fund and the name of the Financial Administrator assigned to your department.
The Print Shop
Business cards may be ordered directly through Carleton’s Print Shop (may be purchased with your PER funds).
Sign up for newsletters to keep informed of activities on campus:
- Carleton Top 5 – activated by logging into the Carleton Intranet
- Healthy Workplace
- Teaching and Learning Services
- Research Newsletter
- Web Services
- The Provost’s Newsletter is sent to all faculty and is archived on the Intranet
Please google Carleton newsletters and/or check with your Dean’s office about any additional newsletters or communications.
Onboarding Checklist for New Academics
Navigate the remainder of the Onboarding Checklist for New Academics by clicking through the relevant stages in the onboarding process below.