Recognizing that many women continue to face systemic obstacles in pursuing careers in STEM disciplines, this page has been developed by Carleton’s Women in STEM Working Group to showcase specific resources for women considering applying to a STEM-related academic opportunity.
On behalf of Carleton University, we are thrilled to invite you to learn more about academic opportunities in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM)! We welcome all qualified candidates for the academic appointment opportunities listed below. Recognizing that many women continue to face systemic obstacles in pursuing careers in STEM disciplines, we have developed this page to provide additional resources for women who may be considering applying to STEM-related academic opportunities at Carleton.
This page features some of the resources, programming and events that Carleton is pleased to host. For more information on these initiatives, we invite you to review the Faculty of Engineering and Design and Faculty of Science websites.
Maria DeRosa, Dean, Faculty of Science
Larry Kostiuk, Dean, Faculty of Engineering and Design
Current Academic Opportunities in STEM Disciplines
The list below includes all open academic job opportunities in Carleton’s Faculty of Engineering and Design and Faculty of Science. A full list of all academic job opportunities across all Faculties and disciplines is also available. Please note that these opportunities are open for all candidates to apply.
Thursday, January 26, 2023
Assistant Professor (School of Mathematics & Statistics) Data Science and Analytics
About the Position: Field of Specialization: Data Science and Analytics Academic Unit: School of Mathematics and Statistics Category of Appointment: Tenure Track Rank/Position Title: Assistant Professor Start Date: July 1, 2023 Closing Date: February 15, 2023, or until position filled The School of Mathematics and Statistics invites applications...
Tuesday, January 17, 2023
Instructor (Systems and Computer Engineering) Software Engineering
About the Position Field of Specialization: Software Engineering Academic Unit: Systems and Computer Engineering Category of Appointment: Preliminary (confirmation-track) Rank/Position Title: Instructor Start Date: July 1, 2023 Closing Date: March 31, 2023 The department of Systems and Computer Engineering invites applications for a preliminary...
Tuesday, January 17, 2023
Instructor (Systems and Computer Engineering) Embedded Systems
About the Position Field of Specialization: Embedded Systems Academic Unit: Systems and Computer Engineering Category of Appointment: Preliminary (confirmation-track) Rank/Position Title: Instructor Start Date: July 1, 2023 Closing Date: March 31, 2023 The department of Systems and Computer Engineering invites applications for a preliminary...
Carleton’s Commitment to EDI
Carleton has articulated its commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in the comprehensive EDI Action Plan that outlines ways to reimagine curricular and pedagogical practices, and commits to further enhancing student supports, research infrastructure, leadership development for academic and non-academic staff, organizational culture and more.
Carleton’s commitment to EDI is also demonstrated through the institution-wide calls to action outlined in Kinàmàgawin, our revitalized Indigenous strategy. Carleton has also endorsed the Dimensions Charter and signed the Scarborough Charter on Anti-Black Racism and Black Inclusion and the UN International Decade for People of African Descent.
STEM Resources and Programs
- Virtual Ventures is a not-for-profit organization run under Carleton’s Faculty of Engineering and Design. It offers nationally recognized technology and engineering programs for youth who have completed junior kindergarten to grade 12, such as Go Eng Girl and Go Code Girl, which provide unique opportunities for female students to learn about careers in the exciting field of engineering and coding and software development.
- Carleton’s Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) chapter is part of a global movement that encourages and supports women in STEM. Their mission is to help younger generations to learn about STEM; inspire members through mentorships, workshops and other programming; and support members through social events to help achieve a healthy lifestyle.
- The Faculty of Science has established a new junior faculty mentoring program, which includes mentors, training and an active Slack channel.
Tuesday, March 15, 2022
Maria DeRosa Appointed Dean of Science
Dr. Maria DeRosa has been appointed as the Dean of the Faculty of Science, for a term ending June 30, 2027. Since August 2021, Maria has served as Interim Dean in the Faculty of Science where she has already demonstrated remarkable...
Monday, February 28, 2022
UAlberta internship program supporting Black students in STEM expands to Carleton University in Ottawa
An internship program developed at the University of Alberta to support and encourage Black youth in a career in science, technology,...
- The Awareness, Collaboration and Engagement (ACE) event series aims to increase and advance EDI efforts in the Faculty of Science.
- The annual Faculty of Science Herzberg Lecture is held in honour of Gerhard Herzberg, a former Chancellor of Carleton and recipient of the 1971 Nobel Prize for Chemistry. The lecture emphasizes the relationship between science and society and seeks to address an aspect of science which has a pronounced impact on our daily lives.
- The Ingenious Talks and Science Café event series engage the community in lively discussions of timely and innovative ideas in engineering and science.
- The Fields-Carleton Distinguished Lecture is an annual lecture sponsored by Carleton and the Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences, which features internationally-renowned speakers with expertise in mathematics, statistics and theoretical computer science.
- The annual Discovery Lecture, hosted by the Faculty of Science and School of Journalism, addresses a scientific issue and brings well-known scientists from around the world to campus to showcase and promote excellence in science journalism.
- The Industry Talks event series is an opportunity to learn about Carleton’s Women in Engineering and IT (WiE&IT) program partners’ equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) commitments and to receive insights into the types of jobs that are available at leading engineering and IT organizations.
Manager, Faculty Affairs