Carleton University students and staff are advised to register in the CU-Travel Registry when participating in university related travel outside of Canada.  This will include but not be limited to

  • Student exchange
  • Research in international locations
  • Conferences
  • International field trips, placements and internships
  • Language programs
  • International athletic competitions

Please note that an entry is not required by staff members departing on annual leave.

It is strongly recommended that faculty members use the registry to document travel outside of the country.  They should also leave an itinerary sheet with contact information with their department and at least one other person indicating periods when they will be completely unavailable; for example when conducting research in remote locations.

In the event of a natural disaster or emergency in your location, the University will make every effort to communicate with you as soon as possible and offer any assistance feasible.  It is essential that you include updates to your travel plans in the registry as soon as they occur.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the International Student Services Office.


  1. Log into your Carleton Central Account
  2. Under ‘personal information’, select the Travel Registry
  3. Click on the Add Travel button to initiate an entry
  4. Indicate the date that you will be leaving Canada and your expected date of return.
    1. If you will be travelling to more than one international location, your expected date of return should be the date you will be leaving to go onto your next destination.  Note that this does not apply to destinations you visit on connecting flights during the course of your travel.
    2. Complete a separate entry with the appropriate dates for each leg of your journey.
    3. If you will be travelling on exchange, indicate the host institution you will be attending, but use the mailing address of the location where you will be staying while away.
    4. Indicate an emergency contact with whom University officials can communicate in the event of an emergency.