Kindly note that the information on this website does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice, and instead all information, content and material is for general information purposes only. Readers should contact and consult with an authorized immigration representative to obtain advice with respect to any particular legal matter.  No reader should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without first seeking legal advice from an authorized representative in the relevant jurisdiction and with expertise in immigration law.  Only your authorized representative can provide assurances that the information contained herein – and your interpretation of it – is applicable or appropriate to your particular situation. The content and information are provided “as is;” and no representations are made that the content or information is accurate, complete or error-free. Any liability is expressly disclaimed and Carleton University will not be liable for any losses, injuries or damages from the use or reliance on the information or content.

Who Needs a Study Permit?

Most international students need a study permit to study at a Canadian university.

Most students must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for their study permit before coming to Canada to study.

These are general rules, but there are exceptions.

Citizens and permanent residents of the United States may apply for a study permit as they enter Canada.

A study permit holder has temporary resident status in Canada. They may remain in Canada and study at a Designated Learning Institution for the period indicated on the permit. Most Carleton students have a study permit that indicates they may also do some work in Canada.

It’s important for students to know the conditions that apply to study permit holders in Canada as well as what work may be authorized by their study permit. Students who don’t meet the conditions that apply to their status or who do unauthorized work in Canada are at risk of losing their status and being asked to leave Canada.

How to Apply for a Study Permit from Outside Canada

How To Apply for a Study Permit Extension (in-Canada Study Permit Application)

Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (after Study Permit Extension)

Study Permit Conditions

Apply to Correct a Study Permit

Apply to Replace a Lost or Stolen Study Permit