About the Program
The Killam Fellowships Program is a prestigious exchange program that gives Canadian students the opportunity to study abroad while attending an American university. Students are eligible to study abroad either for one semester (Fall/Winter) or a full academic year.
If selected, students are awarded $6,000 US per semester to help cover the costs of studying as well extra coverage for health insurance. The Killam Fellowship will also cover the expenses for students to attend a Fall Orientation in Ottawa as well as a Spring Seminar in Washington.
In addition, all Fellows are eligible to apply for a mobility grant in an amount not to exceed $800 US. The mobility initiative is to allow students to undertake an educational field trip, providing the Fellows with the opportunity to gain a broader understanding of the culture of the host country. The Killam Fellowship Program also offers specialized programming for alumni.
- Canadian citizenship
- Full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing
- Students must be in second year standing or higher at the time of application
- Students who transferred to Carleton must have completed at least one (1) full academic year of studies at Carleton at the time of application
- Students must have enough credits remaining in their degree to study full time at the partner institution
- Be fluent in the English language
- Minimum overall CGPA of 10.0
2024-2025 Direct Exchange Program
Carleton students are eligible to apply for the Direct Exchange Program, which allows them to pay Carleton tuition while attending one of the Killam Fellowships Program’s American Partners. Applicants must submit the following to be considered:
- Carleton University Outgoing International Exchange application (via Carleton Central) by the application deadline.
- Killam application package submitted online by December 17, 2023.
2024-2025 Open Competition
Carleton students are also eligible to apply for the Open category which allows them to attend any degree-granting institution in the United States. Selected students in the open category are responsible for paying any required tuition at their host university but can use the funds from the Killam Fellowship to help cover the costs. Open competition students may apply directly to the Foundation. There are no limits to the number of applicants in the open competition. All applicants forwarded directly to the Foundation will be considered for the open competition.
The deadline to apply for the Open Competition is January 31, 2024. For more information on the Open Competition visit the Killam Fellowships Program website.
Students must complete an application to the Killam Fellowships Program, in addition to the application to the Carleton University Exchange Program via Carleton Central. Killam Fellowships application consists of these components (submitted online):
- Proof of citizenship (photocopy of passport, birth certificate, or other documentation that verifies citizenship)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume (up to 3 pages)
- Unofficial transcript
- Personal statement (1 page)
- Supplementary document package cover form
- Course selection forms (for top 3 choices)
- Reference forms
All applications will be thoroughly reviewed and the applicants ranked by an independent adjudication committee from participating universities and senior officials from the Foundation.
All awards are subject to the availability of funds, acceptance by the host university, and the ability to secure appropriate visa arrangements. Please note that immigration rules and procedures are subject to change and that all applicants must meet the current legal requirements of the host country.
For more information, please visit the Killam Fellowships Program website or contact the Exchange Team at email@example.com
Application Turnaround Times
You will be notified by mid-February if you have been accepted to the Carleton University Exchange Program. The results of your Killam Fellowships application will be available in early April.