Important: If you have any inquiries pertaining to your UHIP coverage and COVID19, please refer to our FAQ page.
What is UHIP?
The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health plan for all international and/or non-residents (and their dependents) studying or working at Carleton University.
How much does UHIP cost? Rates for 2020-2021
|Start date (degree students)||Member for 12 mos to Aug 31, 2021||Member + 1 Dependent||Member + 2 or more dependents|
|Coverage per term (4 mos)||$240||$480||$720|
Staff: (Post Docs, Visiting Researchers, Scholars, etc)
|Months covered||Member||Member + 1 Dependent||Member + 2 Dependents|
UHIP applies to:
- international students (including exchange);
- registered students with domestic status/paying domestic fees who are not yet eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP);
- international employees working in Ontario who cannot get OHIP;
- family members (spouse and/or children) of international students and employees who are not eligible for OHIP (separate enrollment required with the ISSO);
- Canadian employees or other individuals who are satisfying the OHIP waiting period, and
- short-term visitors (international visiting researchers, visiting students, new employees, Post Docs) and their family members.
The UHIP plan provides coverage comparable to the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) for Ontario residents. It provides insurance to pay the cost of doctor/hospital medical services* that students or employees and their dependents might need.
*Some limitations apply.
How to get your UHIP Health card
Sun Life Financial (the insurance company) will email your UHIP health card to your Carleton University email account. Print off your health card and carry with you at all times as you will need to show it to the doctor/hospital. Please be sure to keep the email. If you lose/misplace your card, you can print off another one.
Read the Frequently Asked Questions.
For more detailed information about UHIP coverage, eligibility, premiums, etc.:
You may also contact your UHIP administrator by ISSO email or phone +1 (613) 520-6600.