The ISSO is unable to provide advice on income tax matters to individual students. The information provided below is intended to be a brief overview and introduction to the Canadian tax system. As an international student, you are encouraged to seek advice from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), or from a qualified income tax specialist. 

Do international students have to file taxes in Canada?

International students can find more details on whether or not you should be submitting a tax return.

Watch the webinar created by the CRA specifically for international students that provides more information and guidelines about taxes, benefits and credits available for international students studying in Canada

Where can you complete your tax return?

1. Local Tax Offices

You do not need to pay an accountant to complete your taxes as this can often be quite expensive, but if you choose to do so, you can go to a professional.  There are also companies who will prepare your return for a fee, such as H&R Block.

You can look for free tax filing services normally available to low income earners at local community centres.

2. File Your Own

You can file your taxes using online software or filling out paper forms. For example, UFile.ca is an online service for preparing and filing your taxes. There are certified tax softwares recommended by the Government of Canada.

If you require more information:

International Tax Services Office  1-800-267-5177

GST Credits   1-800-959-1953

Canada Revenue Agency for forms, publications and more information see CRA’s Student Guide 

Documents you may need in order to file your taxes:

  • SIN Card
  • T4 slips (if you work)
  • T4A slips
  • T2202 (print from Carleton Central)
  • Donation receipts
  • Rent receipts