1. When to Apply
  2. How to Apply
  3. Waiting for Your New Study Permit 
  4. Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa
  5. Apply for a Corrected Study Permit
  6. Replace a Lost Study Permit

Kindly note that the information on this web site does not, and is not intended to constitute legal advice, and instead all information, content and material is for general information purposes only. Readers should contact and consult with an authorized immigration representative to obtain advice with respect to any particular legal matter.  No reader should act or refrain from acting on the basis of information on this site without first seeking legal advice from an authorized representative in the relevant jurisdiction and with expertise in immigration law. Only your authorized representative can provide assurances that the information contained herein – and your interpretation of it – is applicable or appropriate to your particular situation. The content and information are provided “as is;” and no representations are made that the content or information is accurate, complete or error-free. Any liability is expressly disclaimed and Carleton University will not be liable for any losses, injuries or damages from the use or reliance on the information or content.

If your study permit will expire before you finish your program of study at Carleton, you can apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for a new one. This is an application to extend (or renew) your student status in Canada.

It is your responsibility to know the expiry date on your study permit and to apply for an extension before that date so you can continue to study without interruption.

If you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) as well as a new study permit, you should know that there is a two-step process in Canada:

  • Apply for your new study permit
  • After you receive your study permit, apply for the TRV

You cannot apply for both new documents at the same time.

You may remain in Canada if your TRV has expired, but you need a valid TRV to travel to Canada. If you leave Canada with only a valid study permit, you will have to apply for a new visa from outside of Canada before you can return.

As a first step to the renewal process, check your passport expiry date and apply for a new one if you need it. Your new study permit cannot be valid beyond the expiry date of your passport. Passport processing times and processes are different for each country.

When to Apply

You must apply for a new study permit before the expiry date of your current permit. It’s a good idea to apply about two to three months before. You should start sooner, if IRCC’s current processing times are long, or if you plan to travel and will need a new Temporary Resident Visa to return to Canada. The IRCC website says to apply at least 30 days before expiry, but that is their guideline and not a rule.

If you don’t apply for renewal before your study permit expires, you must stop studying (and working) in Canada immediately. You have two choices for getting a new study permit:

  • Apply for restoration of status within 90 days. This application is not as straight-forward as a regular study permit renewal and there is an additional $200 fee for restoration. Consult the ISSO if you are making a restoration application.
  • Leave Canada and apply for a new study permit from your home country. Note that leaving Canada is the only choice if you don’t apply within 90-day restoration period.

How to Apply

This page provides an overview of the process. For details, consult:

Start by signing in or creating an account at the IRCC website.  On your account home page, look for “Apply to Come to Canada” and choose the option for “visit, study, work”. Answer the questions about yourself and why you want to come to Canada. The system uses your answers to create a document list. Most applications include these items:

  • IMM 5709 — Application to Change Conditions, Extent My Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student. Download the form and open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Add your information, validate the form, then upload it to the online application.
  • Your passport – Click on the question mark icon to see which pages to include.
  • “Letter of acceptance” — Continuing Carleton students do not provide admission letters, but instead one or more Carleton documents that update their registration status and expected program completion date. These documents can depend on whether the student is an undergraduate, graduate student, or doing co-op work terms. Consult the ISSO’s Guide for details.
  • Proof of Financial Support — You must show that you can pay your tuition and living expenses for the next year. For many students, the proof is a letter from their parents together with 3-4 months of their bank statements. If you have a scholarship, or other sources of funding, you can use other documents.
  • Recent digital photo
  • Optional: Client information — This is a letter of explanation and/or additional documents needed to explain special circumstances.

The application fee for a new study permit is $150. There will be additional charges if you need a medical exam or to give biometrics.

Waiting for Your New Study Permit 

The immigration officer who reviews your application will assess whether you have met the conditions of your study permit holder status and make a decision whether to issue a new study permit.

If the officer needs additional documents to help them make their decision, you will receive an email and there will be a detailed message in your online account. You must reply before the deadline or your application will be refused. It is strongly recommended that you consult with the ISSO if you receive such a request. 

If you applied for the extension before the expiration date of your earlier study permit, you may continue to study (and work as authorized for a study permit holder) even if your old study permit expires while you are waiting. This is called maintained status, which is valid immigration status, provided you remain in Canada. Maintained status is lost if you leave Canada.

When your application is approved, you will receive an approval message in your online account. This message notes your new study permit number and expiry date. IRCC will mail the study permit to the Canadian address you gave in your application.

If your application is refused, please consult the ISSO to discuss your options.

Apply for a Temporary Resident Visa

If you need a new Electronic Travel Authorization, it will be included with your new study permit. If you need a new Temporary Resident Visa, you may apply for it after your new study permit has been approved.

Information about how to apply for a new TRV is found

When your visa application is approved, you will receive instructions for sending your passport to IRCC in Ottawa by Canada Post Xpresspost or another courier service. You cannot deliver your passport in person.

If you receive a new visa that is coded V-1, it is not an error. This is a temporary measure by IRCC for processing visa applications submitted within Canada. You may use a V-1 visa to enter Canada, exactly as you would an S-1 (or W-1) visa. The visa will be valid to the expiry date printed on it, which is usually the same as the expiry date of your passport.

Apply for a Corrected Study Permit

If an IRCC officer or border services officer made a mistake in issuing your study permit, you may apply for a corrected document for free. The application is made on paper and mailed to IRCC in Ottawa. You must return the study permit with the error to IRCC.

The application form and instructions are on the IRCC website. Please consult the ISSO if you need assistance.

Replace a Lost Study Permit

If your study permit is lost or stolen, you can apply for a replacement. The application is made on paper and mailed to IRCC in Ottawa. The application fee is $30.

The application form and instructions are on the IRCC website. Please consult the ISSO if you need assistance.