June 3, 2019

The annual Academic Performance Evaluations have now been posted and can be viewed in Carleton Central (under myProgress).

What is an APE?

The APE is an annual assessment of your academic status in your degree.

What are possible outcomes of an APE?

The possible outcomes of an academic performance evaluation (APE) are: Good Standing, Academic Warning, Suspension, Continue in Alternate, Continue in General, Dismissed for Program, or Debarment. Your GPA is the key assessment tool for APE, with the minimum requirements for “Good Standing” being as follows:

Program Credits Completed B.A. Honours Degree 15.0 credit General 20.0 credit Major
0.0 to 5.0 Overall 4.00 Overall 4.00 Overall 3.00
5.5 to 10.0 Overall 4.50 Major 5.50 Overall 4.50 Overall 3.50 Major 3.50
10.5 to 15.0 Overall 5.00 Major 6.00 Overall 5.00 Overall 3.50 Major 3.50
15.5 or more Overall 5.00 Major 6.50 Overall 5.00 Overall 4.00 Major 4.00
Graduation Overall 5.00 Major 6.50 Overall 5.00 Overall 4.00 Major 4.00

A table of the minimum GPA requirements for Good Standing.

It’s important to note that if you are registered in a minor, concentration or specialization, you will have minimum GPA requirements for those elements as well.

When is my evaluation made?

Evaluations are made at the end of the Winter term following the completion of a minimum of 4.0 credits since your last evaluation, or since the start of your term at Carleton.

What does each outcome mean?

Good standing: the student fully meets the academic standards prescribed for the student’s program and is eligible to continue in that degree.

Academic Warning: the student’s performance with respect to the academic standards of the degree is deficient. The student may continue in the degree but must clear the Academic Warning by achieving a Good Standing assessment at the next Academic Performance Evaluation, otherwise they will be suspended.

Suspension: the student must leave their degree for at least one year.

Continue in General: the student (i) is in an Honours B.A, (ii) would otherwise be suspended at this APE due to a low CGPA, but (iii) meets or exceeds the minimum requirements for Good Standing in a general program. The student’s program will be changed to the corresponding or other general program within the same degree and the student may apply to change this program within the degree, as long as they would be in Good Standing in the subsequent program.

Continue in Alternate (CA) and Dismissed from Program (DP): the student’s performance has fallen below a minimum standard for the program and, in consequence, the student is removed from the program and is not readmissible to this program. These APE statuses are restricted to some professional and limited enrolment programs where there is high demand for the program and limited space in its required courses. The degrees and programs that use these statuses are: B.Eng.,  B.Hum., B.J., B.J.Hum., B.Com., B.I.B., B.I.D., B.P.A.P.M.

Debarred: the student is not eligible for any studies at the university for at least three years.

My GPA meets the requirements for Good standing, so why is my status “suspended”?

Suspension can occur if you exceed the maximum allowable number of discredits (grade of F) for the program. Since an F grade can be removed from the GPA calculation through course repetition or replacement, it may not be reflected in your GPA, which is why you can receive an APE of good standing in one year, and an APE of suspension the next.

Take-home messages:

  • It’s extremely important to be aware of your Academic Performance Evaluation, and to take action should your status be anything other than Good Standing. We have departmental and academic advisors in place to help you stay on track and on the route to graduation, so take advantage of them!
  • Run your audit after every term. This is the ever-changing document that will lead you to graduation. Monitor what categories your courses are falling under, in order to a) ensure your requirements are being met, and b) ensure your courses are being counted. For example, did you know that Carleton students are only allowed to count up to a maximum of 7.0 credits of 1000-level courses towards their degree? Any additional 1000-level courses will fall under “courses set aside” and will not count towards your degree.

For more information, please consult the undergraduate calendar for academic regulations, or contact the Department of Philosophy.