There may be a number of circumstances in which students will have questions regarding their grades. These questions may be about understanding the grading scheme; about the grade awarded for a specific piece of work, including work that has not been returned; or about the determination of the final grade. These questions may involve error or potential bias in the calculation of the grade(s) in question.
Wherever possible, both during the term and after, concerns about the grading of student work should be settled informally between the student and the instructor.
A student may submit a formal appeal of grade if and only if the informal appeal process has not addressed their concerns.
Step 1: Informal Appeal of Grade
- Questions regarding your grade should first be directed to your instructor either in person or through your Carleton email account.
- You must clearly outline why you feel your grade is incorrect to your instructor.
- This informal appeal should be done within 7 working days once the grade in question has been made available.
- Be sure to retain any written correspondence between yourself and your instructor (Section 3.3.4 of the Undergraduate Calendar).
- As a result of this informal appeal process the original grade may be raised, lowered or left unchanged.
Step 2: Formal Appeal of Grade
- If your concerns have not been addressed in your attempt to resolve the matter informally you may complete a Formal Appeal of Grade form through the Registrar’s Office. You can initiate this process by emailing the Registrar’s Office.
- Be sure to include any supporting documentation including the original graded work in question and any written correspondence between you and your instructor. You are advised to retain copies of your original work.
- If the original graded work in question is not in your possession, you must indicate this on your appeal of grade form.
- This appeal should be submitted within 20 working days from when the grade was made available.
- This process will take approximately 10 days depending on the circumstances.
- You will be notified the final decision of your grade via email to your Carleton email address by the Dean’s office. The decision of the Dean is final (Section 3.3.5 of the Undergraduate Calendar).
- Your grade may be lowered, raised, or left unchanged as a result of this process.