Room 4400, Richcraft Hall
The School of Journalism & Communication is privileged to have a Resource Centre that has been in operation for more than 35 years. Established in 1979 as the St. Patrick’s Resource Centre, its name was formally changed to the Reader’s Digest Resource Centre in October 2000 to honour a generous endowment bestowed by Reader’s Digest. In May of 2012, the Centre relocated to Richcraft Hall.
The Reader’s Digest Resource Centre is the hub of the School logistically and figuratively. It provides more than 1,500 students, faculty, staff and researchers with a collegial environment in which to browse, study, collaborate, research or just relax. The Centre is home to the history of the School. It houses program specific resources such as our book, journal and periodical collections, five daily newspapers, media directories, reference texts as well as other materials. Aside from the fabulous work/study space provided and the many materials contained in the Centre, numerous services are delivered (see resources/services below).
The School is extremely proud of the contributions made by both the Journalism and Communication Studies programs to their respective fields. This work is highlighted in books published by current and past faculty members, a collection which is on display in the Centre. The work of graduates is preserved in a compilation of student theses and research projects (master’s and honour’s) dating back to the early 1950’s. Other highly valued collections of prominence are also housed in the Centre.