As Carleton University continues to follow our safe meetings and social distancing guidelines, the International Student Services Office (ISSO) has transitioned to providing services remotely during our regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday).

The best way to connect with the ISSO is by email. You should receive a reply to your inquiry within 2-4 business days.

For the most up to date campus information, please visit Carleton’s COVID-19 information website.

COVID-19 Information for International Students
Carleton students, graduates, and new admissions who have concerns about their applications currently being processed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), or about applications they will make in the near future, may refer to IRCC’s special measures to help persons affected by COVID-19. Currently these special measures apply to China, Iran, and South Korea. However, check the IRCC website for the latest updates.

  • If you have an application being processed outside of Canada, you automatically have 90 extra days to provide documents or biometrics.
  • If you need to travel to Canada urgently and can demonstrate exceptional circumstances, you may request priority processing of a visitor visa, study permit or work permit.

Please note that if you are in Canada now and are unable to go home because of concerns related to COVID-19, you must still maintain your legal status in Canada. If you are not eligible for a new study permit or work permit, you should apply to extend your status as a visitor.

Graduating International Students and the Post-Graduation Work Permit

Many Carleton students plan to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) after finishing their program at Carleton this term. Although we all face a number of uncertainties at this time, we don’t expect the following to change.

  • You will complete your Winter 2020 classes and exams remotely, within the usual timeframe.
  • Carleton will provide the documents you need to apply for the work permit, through Carleton Central and by email.
  • The ISSO will provide support for making the online application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Watch for expanded PGWP information on our website, and access personal advising by writing to

As long as you apply for the PGWP while your study permit is valid, you can remain in Canada and work while you are waiting, even if your study permit expires during that time. Important note: the ISSO never recommends applying for the PGWP at the US-Canada border. Even if it is still possible later this year, it is not advisable.

The ISSOS’s immigration advisors can answer your questions and assist with your applications to IRCC.

Effects on the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

You can be confident that your UHIP is unchanged. The coverage you had before COVID-19 is the same coverage you have today. UHIP covers eligible medically necessary health services and medical treatments. This includes physician and hospital services and diagnostic lab testing.  The plan details section of the UHIP website shows the eligible services and the UHIP reimbursement rates.

  • If you are having any severe symptoms or are having trouble breathing, call 911 now and advise them of your symptoms and any travel history.
  • If you have mild symptomsand think you may have the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), or have been in close contact with someone who has it:
    • you can use this self-assessment toolto help find out if you need to seek further care or get tested for COVID-19.  French self-assessment tool
    • Some University Campus Clinics and health care providers are giving telephone assessments.  Don’t show up at a health care provider without first calling them.
    • Check the Sun Life Preferred Provider Sitefor a preferred provider close to you.  Sun Life Preferred Provider Site connects you to a provider that bills Sun Life directly at UHIP rates. Going outside of the preferred provider network may result in out of pocket expenses.  If you receive a doctor’s bill, please keep all receipts, complete a claim form, and mail it to Sun Life.

Anyone with symptoms (fever, cough, sneezing or sore throat) should stay home from work and/or school for 14 days, and avoid going out in public where possible.
Keep checking our University website and The Ministry of Health website for more information and updates on the current situation.

As the outbreak of COVID-19 continues to raise concerns around the globe, Carleton University is closely monitoring developments. Find the latest news, recommended precautions, and answers to frequently asked questions at Carleton’s COVID-19 website.

Novel Coronavirus FAQ