The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. As an international student you will need to obtain a SIN in order to work in Canada.
Obtaining a SIN Number
What to bring:
- Your study permit
- Certificate of enrollment (from Carleton Central under ‘Online Applications’)
1. You can apply for a SIN online
2. You can apply for a SIN at a Service Canada Centre:
- Ottawa East Service Canada Centre – 110 Place d’Orleans Drive, Suite 2040
- Ottawa West Service Canada Centre – 885 Meadowlands Dr. East, Suite 105
- Service Canada Hull/Gatineau – 201 Champlain Street (near Museum of History)
Phone: 1 -800-206-7218
More information can be found on the Government of Canada website.