The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number used in the administration of various Canadian government programs. As an international student you will need to obtain a SIN in order to work in Canada.

Obtaining a SIN Number

What to bring: 

  • Your study permit
  • Passport
  • Certificate of enrollment (from Carleton Central under ‘Online Applications’)

1. You can apply for a SIN online

2. You can apply for a SIN at a Service Canada Centre:


  1. Ottawa East Service Canada Centre – 110 Place d’Orleans Drive, Suite 2040
  2. Ottawa West Service Canada Centre – 885 Meadowlands Dr. East, Suite 105
  3. Service Canada Hull/Gatineau – 201 Champlain Street (near Museum of History)

Phone:     1 -800-206-7218

More information can be found on the Government of Canada website.