International Exchange

Academic exchange allows students in a Carleton law program to study at locations like Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) in the U.K. for one year. Approved courses that students complete successfully then count towards the degree from Carleton. The Exchange is a reciprocal arrangement in which students from abroad come to Canada and study at Carleton for one year.

Individual students are likely to have different reasons for participating, but here are some of the most common: all approved SHU credits that are successfully completed count towards the Bachelor of Arts degree from Carleton.

  • Study abroad at SHU while paying regular tuition fees to Carleton.
  • Strengthen academic and research skills in the excellent facilities at SHU, which include a newly built library, numerous computer labs, as well as an athletics centre.
  • Strengthen personal skills through involvement in student activities and participation in a wide selection of student clubs, societies and athletic teams.
  • Form friendships with a new cohort of English and international students. Experience the cultural and social life of an English city.

Courses at Sheffield Hallam are firmly rooted in the social scientific study of law, and are taught in a professional law school. Students select up to 6 units to study during the year – this would be the equivalent of 5.0 full credits at Carleton. Select approved courses from the LL.B. (Hons.) Law syllabus of the Division of Applied Social Science, Faculty of Development and Society.

Course choices include:

  • administrative law,
  • law of financial services,
  • welfare law,
  •  comparative law,
  • law and medicine,
  • law and social theory,
  • the state and civil liberties,
  • family law and policy and
  • legal perspectives on criminal justice.

How to apply

For more information on how to apply for an academic exchange, please review the Application Steps.

Lookbook of international exchange opportunities

Summary of information for each country

Please refer to ISSO for the most current information.


  • Third-year standing in a Law program at the time of the Exchange
  • Completion of LAWS 1000 and 2.0 credits in second-year LAWS courses – please see further detail regarding these requirements in the Undergraduate Calendar.


For more information or assistance, please contact:

Nancy Leslie
Coordinator, Exchange Program
International Student Services Office (ISSO)
128 University Centre, Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 5B6

For more information on international exchanges please visit Exchange Student Services at the International Student Services Office (ISSO), and also see: International Opportunities.

Quicklaw (QL) Database

Quicklaw is a Canadian legal research database which provides students with full-text access to Canadian and foreign case law; Canadian and provincial legislation and regulations; newspaper articles, press releases, and newsletters.

Faculty and students in Law and Legal Studies or Criminology may register for their own Quicklaw Account.

Requests for Accommodation

Students with disabilities

Students with disabilities needing academic accommodations are required to contact a co-ordinator at the Paul Menton Centre to complete the necessary letters of accommodation. The student must then make an appointment to discuss their needs with the instructor at least two weeks prior to the first class or test. This is to ensure sufficient time is available to make the necessary accommodation arrangements.

Religious obligations

Students requesting academic accommodation on the basis of religious obligation should make a formal, written request to their instructors for alternate dates and/or means of satisfying academic requirements. Such requests should be made during the first two weeks of class, or as soon as possible after the need for accommodation in known to exist, but no later than two weeks before the compulsory event. Accommodation is to be worked out directly and on an individual basis between the student and the instructor(s) involved. Instructors will make accommodations in a way that avoids academic disadvantage to the student.

Students or instructors who have questions or want to confirm accommodation eligibility of a religious event or practice may request information or assistance from Equity Services  for Carleton’s Academic Accommodation policies and procedures.

Undergraduate Advising

If you require advice or assistance with any of the following, email the Law Advisor at or drop in during office hours to discuss your concerns.

  • Audit Review
  • Program and Course Requirements
  • Change of Program Elements / Switching into the Law Program
  • International Exchange

The main office is located in C473 Loeb Building

Advising hours are weekdays from 8:30 am – 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm.

Students will be seen on a first come first served basis, no appointment required..

Undergraduate Teaching Assistant Positions

Please follow the steps below to apply for a TA position through Carleton Central (

Note: be aware that in FALL/WINTER terms you must be a full-time student during the term for which you would like to TA. Please see Section 6.4 of the Undergraduate Calendar for the definition of full time status. SUMMER terms does not require full-time status for a TA position.

  • At the main menu of Carleton Central, under the “Student Online Applications”, click on “Undergrad TA Applications”. This will bring you to a screen where you will be required to enter all information needed to apply.
  • Once you have entered all of your information, click on “submit application”


  • To be eligible for a TA position you must be either a full-time Graduate student with a Teaching Assistantship awarded through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.


  • An Undergraduate student, registered at Carleton University, who has at least 3rd year standing and a minimum of a 9 GPA.

Priority will go to students who have secured TA positions in the past and those who are applying for courses which they have previously taken and have achieved an A- or above.

Deadline to apply

Please note that priority is given to Graduate Students.

For additional info, please visit TA Support Information.

>>Back to the top