Mature students in ESP
Many of the students in our programs are mature students who have decided to return to studies after an absence.
- About 1/4 ESP/IESP students are over 20 year old.
- Each year, roughly 10% of our students are between 25 and 50+.
- Many of the mature students in ESP/IESP have been out of school 5-20 years.
- Many of the facilitators, coaches, and ESP/IESP staff began university as mature students.
University sometimes feels overwhelming at first. As a mature student, ESP/IESP can help you:
- Build on your life experience and strong work ethic
- Meet other mature students with similar experiences and goals
- Get back into the student mindset
- Learn to navigate the university system
- Figure out which skills you need to build, and how to build them
- Get used to learning with technology
What mature students have to say about ESP
This past year, we surveyed many of our mature students to ask them what brought them to university and how they enjoyed their experience in the ESP/IESP. Here’s some of what we found.
Why I decided to attend university
- I always wanted to attend.
- I didn’t want to have regrets.
- University will allow me to build the career I want.
What I enjoyed about the ESP/IESP
- It’s a friendly, small community within the wider campus.
- The staff and faculty are friendly and helpful.
- The program gives you a home base at Carleton and a useful transition to university.
- ESP/IESP is flexible:
- You can take 1, 2, or 3 courses per term
- Some evening classes available
You can quote me!
- My workshop facilitator was very focused and prepared. She helped us with all concepts from lecture and cleared up any issues or troubles we had with the course content.
- I attribute my success to the support that I have and continue to receive from ESP staff.
- Very good basis for staring university!
- It’s a great way to get a second chance to attend University and re-learn how to be a student.
- This program has helped me understand the university system much better than I ever would without.
- I feel that the ESP program is the best way to attend university, and there should be more programs like it.