Our program offers the opportunity to:
- take up to three first-year university courses (one core course and two electives)
- receive academic support in small, weekly workshops that help you make the transition to university-level work
- take advantage of personalized advising and academic coaching options
- get started on first-year university by earning credits that count toward your degree
- build a basis for admission to a degree
ESP January admission is only available for our Arts and Social Science Stream.
Note about course offerings in Winter 2022: currently Carleton is planning to offer courses primarily in-person this winter, though this will depend on social distancing requirements. Please see Carleton’s COVID updates and ESP-specific COVID updates.
Our current plan is to offer a mix of in-person and on-line learning along with one fully online course pattern for those who do not wish to study in person. Please note Carleton’s vaccination requirements for in-person learning. We will add more information here in early November when the university finalizes its winter term plan.
Application deadline: November 15th, 2021
Please complete the online application below.
New student applications
Returning student applications
Click here to learn more about the minimum requirements to be considered for admission to the ESP.
Students must choose classes from the list of courses supported by ESP.
- January 2022: Class and Workshop Schedule – coming soon!
- January 2022: Course Descriptions Arts Stream – coming soon!
Students in our January program can earn up to 1.5 credits (because they are enrolling in 3 half-credit courses and two non-credit workshops). ESP students (unless they qualify as mature applicants) must complete at least 2.0 credits before being admitted to a degree program. Click here for more details. Click here for our Student Guide.
This means that you will be continuing ESP in the subsequent Summer or Fall/Winter terms before entering a degree program.
You will qualify for degree admission once you have met one of the following criteria:
- After successful completion of 2.0 credits, you may be admitted to a B.A. program with a B average (8.0 on Carleton’s 12 point scale)
- After successful completion of 2.5 credits, you may be admitted to a B.A. program with a B- average (7.0 on Carleton’s 12 point scale)
- After successful completion of 3.0 credits, you may be admitted to a B.A. program with a C+ average (6.0 on Carleton’s 12 point scale)
- After successful completion of 4.0 or more credits, you may be admitted to a B.A. program as long as you would be in good standing (normally in the C-/C range on Carleton’s 12 point scale)
Students who meet the criteria above are eligible for admission to most of Carleton’s Bachelor of Arts Programs. Some B.A. programs may require a higher average (BA Geomatics or Criminology), or have prerequisite subjects for high school (e.g. BA Biology, B. Economics).
Mature students may qualify for admission to a B.A. program after having completed a minimum of 1.0 credit with at least a C- or better standing in the first attempt, provided they meet the university’s formal definition of a “Mature” applicant, that is they:
- are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada;
- have not attended a college or university as full-time student;
- have been away from full-time studies for at least two calendar years;
- do not meet the normal admission requirements (as published in the Undergraduate Calendar);
- have completed any required prerequisite subject (for example: applicants to a B. Economics must have completed grade 12 Advanced Functions with a minimum of 70%).
January 2022 – this will be updated mid-October 2021
Estimated costs for domestic students taking first-year courses:
|Costs for Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents|
|#1 Carleton University (0.5 credit course)||$656.79|
|#1 ESP/IESP Workshop (winter term)||$500.00|
|#2 Carleton University (0.5 credit course)||$656.79|
|#2 ESP/IESP Workshop (winter term)||$500.00|
|# 3 Core Course (0.5 credit course)||$656.79|
|U-Pass (bus pass, mandatory fee* )||$218.03|
*Students can opt-out of the UPASS if they are registered in fully online courses.
Payment of all Winter term fees is due November 25.
Students receiving OSAP may be eligible to defer this deadline to January 17, 2022 provided they meet the deferral conditions found here. Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline at 613-520-3626 or email@example.com.
If you are planning to apply for student loans, be sure to apply as soon as possible (there’s no need to wait for an admissions decision to begin your application).
What if I pay after the deadline?
Late charges will apply. Detailed payment information can be found on the Student Accounts website: carleton.ca/fees. Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline at 613-520-3626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see the Awards Office website for interactive resources to help you with calculating your costs.
Students (Ontario residents) enrolled in the ESP may be eligible for OSAP. Please note, not every provincial loan program will fund students enrolled in ESP. For further information about financial support, please contact Carleton’s Awards Office.
Please read through our Student Guide for information on registration and rules and regulations that apply to you once you join the program.
- We will open our course selection/registration late-October 2021.
Winter term classes begin on Monday, January 10th, 2022.
Newly admitted students should attend our Orientation session on Friday, January 7th (time: TBA). We’ll provide useful information on classes, resources and registration, plus show you how to get your U-Pass (bus pass for full-time students), student card, and get to know your classes.