- How do you apply?
- Who should apply?
- Application deadline
- Minimum academic requirements
- What if English is not your first language?
- What happens after we receive your application?
Returning ESP students
- How do I apply to return to ESP?
- Requirements for second year?
- Application deadline?
- What if I didn’t complete first year ESP?
- What does a second year of ESP involve?
- Can I apply to receive OSAP funding for second year ESP?
ESP does not base its admissions decisions on high school grades alone. For this reason, we ask you to submit an Application Package including an application form, two letters of reference from teachers, a Personal Statement and an application fee.
You cannot apply to ESP through the Ontario University Application Centre. Instead, please apply below:
- Students whose high school grades and performance do not represent their academic potential.
- Anyone who would like more academic support as they begin their studies.
- Applicants who have taken time away from school and wish to start university in a supported environment.
- See below for more specific requirements.
Fall 2019: June 28, 2019
Winter 2019: Please visit our January application page.
Minimum educational criteria (and see below for prerequisite subject requirements for our Business, Engineering and Science streams):
- Ontario high school applicants: High school diploma and a minimum of three Grade 12 credits at the U or M (university stream) level (4U English is recommended).
- Out-of-province high school applicants: High school diploma and half their grade 12 credits in the academic/university stream.
- Mature applicants (we consider Canadian citizens and landed immigrants who have been away from full-time studies for a two-year period and who have not undertaken other college or university study as “mature”): Will be considered on a case by case basis.
- College/CEGEP applicants: Completion of a minimum of one year in a college/CEGEP program that includes academic stream courses
- University students: Will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Consult with our Admissions Coordinator about whether our program can assist you. Note: applicants with previous university studies cannot be considered for our Engineering stream.
- International students: Are encouraged to consult Carleton’s degree admission requirements. We will consider students whose academic record is close to the posted degree admission requirements. Students are encouraged to consult our Admissions Coordinator for advice.
Applicants to our Business, Science or Engineering streams, have additional prerequisite course requirements. These prerequisite course requirements apply to all applicant types (high school, college, international, mature or those with other university students).
Please note that these indicate minimum criteria necessary for applications to advance for consideration. Meeting the criteria above does not, in itself, guarantee your application will be accepted. Decisions are made based on your application as a whole.
Applicants whose first language is not English, should consult Carleton University’s English as a Second Language requirements and ESL testing information. Applicants with an ESLR placement of ESLA 1500 or higher may be considered for admission to ESP.
After your application is complete, we will normally provide a decision within 3-5 weeks.
Complete the Second Year/Returning Student Application.
Please note: Second Year ESP is normally only available in our Arts and Social Sciences stream. If you are interested in another option, please consult an Advisor before applying.
- Fall 2019: June 28
- Winter 2018: Please check this page in late September for our Winter term application.
Your attendance in workshops, final grades and application essay will be used to determine your eligibility for a second year of ESP. We look for good attendance and that you are in “Good Standing” after the Academic Performance Evaluation. We will also consider the information you provide in your personal statement in determining your eligibility.
You would apply as a “Returning Student” using the Returning/Second Year Student ESP Application form.
If I’m taking summer courses, should I still apply to a second year of ESP?
Yes. If you want to be sure we’ll have a space for you, you should consider applying to a second year of ESP. If you are admitted to a program later in the summer, you can simply withdraw your application to ESP. Spaces in the second year of ESP are limited and may be full before you have your summer course results, so if you are considering this option, please apply early.
You may return to ESP for one term or two. Talk with an ESP/IESP Advisor about your options. Normally students will enroll in 2 courses supported by workshops and 1 core course.
The ministry will only fund ESP students who are eligible for the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) for one year (up to 3 terms). This means second-year students who received OSAP for their first-year of ESP likely cannot receive OSAP again. Please contact the Awards Office if you have any questions about OSAP-eligibility.
Returning ESP students may be eligible for a bank student line of credit and/or student bursaries.
Can I enroll in ESP in the Fall and apply to enter my degree program in the Winter Term?
Possibly. This will depend on a number of factors, including:
- Your overall GPA upon beginning your second year
- The number of credits you will have successfully completed
- Your average in the Fall term classes
- Whether you enroll in half credit courses or full-credit courses in the Fall term
- Whether your program of interest is accepting applications in the Winter term
Consult with an ESP/IESP Advisor for details.