Which courses can I take?
ESP students are eligible to register in three full credit courses: one First Year Seminar (FYSM) and two elective courses that are supported by ESP workshops.
How do I register for my courses?
ESP students have a different registration method than other Carleton students. You register through the ESP office, following the steps below. Read through the Student Guide for guidance in completing each registration step.
- Research your course choices:
- Build a schedule for your top three choices (your top FYSM choice and top two electives plus their workshops).
- Complete and submit the applicable online Course Selection Form:
- Approximately 5-7 days later: Check your schedule and pay your fees. See the Student Guide for more on how to view your schedule and pay your fees.
- Use our checklist to make sure you’re on track.
- Academic Orientation is on September 6th and classes begin September 7th.
Please view the detailed video below for a step-by-step instruction on how to register for courses.
How can I get help selecting courses?
We will be hosting stream-specific Group Advising Sessions in the summer. For the Arts & Social Science Stream, all sessions begin at 1:30 PM on July 25th, August 1st, and August 8th.
Attend a group advising session and we’ll review:
- How ESP works
- Choosing your classes
- How your courses will transfer to different programs
- How to qualify for a degree
- Degree lingo: majors, minors, electives, etc.
- How to view your class schedule
- How to pay fees
- Orientation options
- A customized plan for your degree
And answer your questions about starting university this fall.
RSVP for a Group Advising Session by clicking here.
We also recommend signing up for a 10:00 am campus tour and then attending the ESP Advising Session. Campus Tours are hosted by Carleton’s undergraduate recruitment office, are lead by a Carleton student, and include 4 hour parking and a free lunch. See the Campus Tour website for details and to register.
If you have any questions, you can email email@example.com for further assistance.
Academic Prep: How to Be a University Student
Held August 14-18 2023, 9am to 4pm, Academic Prep: How to be a University Student is a five-day, on-campus course for incoming university students who want a strong start in their university studies. A blend of lectures, readings, and workshops will teach students evidence-based strategies for success in university, with an emphasis on how to develop strong academic skills and habits. Students will apply their new knowledge through in-person, interactive workshops led by skilled upper-year university students.
- Study skills and habits assessment
- How to form and maintain habits for success
- Student mental health: Managing stress & building resiliency
- How learning works I: Learning styles and other learning myths
- How learning works II: CIDERS for success
- Advanced goal setting: What’s a WOOP?
- Metacognition: The ultimate study skill
- Collaboration skills for higher education
- Arts students: Reading & writing for university: No more 5-paragraph essays
For more information go to: https://carleton.ca/cie/academicprep/
To register for How to Be a University Student: Complete the ESP Summer Prep Registration Form.
Below is some information to assist you in preparing for the start of the academic year:
Mandatory Orientation Activities
- Attend the mandatory Academic Orientation Day on Tuesday, September 5 2023. More information will be provided to students by email as it becomes available.
- Begin your classes on Wednesday, September 6, 2023.
Optional Orientation Activities
- Centralized Fall Orientation – Designed for all new first-year Carleton Students. ESP students are NOT able to participate in Sprosh or EngFrosh, as they are not part of those faculties at this time.
- International Student Orientation – Designed for all new international students.
- PMC Fall Orientation – Designed for all new and previously registered PMC students.
How do I pay my fees?
Once ESP has registered you in courses (approx. 5-7 days after you submit your Course Selection Form), login to Carleton Central to confirm fees and payment methods. The deadline for each semester’s fee payments are as followed:
- Fall: August 25, 2023. .
- Winter: November 25, 2023.
Ensure payment for your fees is processed to your account by these deadlines to avoid late and interest charge penalties. Detailed payment information can be found on the Student Accounts website. As well, while any prefer to pay the entire academic year up-front, you do have an option to pay by term, provided that your payments are received by the associated deadlines,
If you will be receiving funding from a Government Student Aid Program such as OSAP, you may be eligible to defer fee payment beyond the August 25th payment deadline (to September 13th for the Fall and January 16th for the Winter).
Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline: 613-520-3626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I check my balance?
You may check your balance online via Carleton Central once you are registered in courses. Click on “Calculate Amount to Pay” from the “Registration” menu. The ‘Total Amount to Pay’ amount is your account balance. The ‘Minimum Amount to Pay’ amount is the balance for your fall term (if electing to pay by term).
Click here for ESP tuition and workshop costs.
Before September 30
After you submit the Course Selection Form and we add your courses, you will be charged tuition and workshop fees. If you must withdraw, you must contact the ESP office as soon as you have made the decision to withdraw in order to cancel tuition and workshop fees at email@example.com or 613-520-2804.
After September 30
After September 30th, you cannot receive a refund of your fall term fees, though if you withdraw between October 1st and January 31st, you will be eligible for a refund of winter term fees. In order to withdraw from courses, you must contact an ESP Student Advisor no later than 4:00 p.m. on the drop-date. You will not be able to withdraw from courses on-line.
If you need to withdraw from a course during the year, please note the following deadlines:
- September 30, 2023: Last day to withdraw from full fall term and fall/winter courses and receive a refund of fees.
- November 15, 2023: Last day to withdraw from full fall courses (no refund of fall term fees if you withdraw after September 30th).
- January 31, 2024: Last day to withdraw from full winter courses and receive a refund of fees.
- March 15, 2024: Last day to withdraw from full winter courses (no refund of winter term fees if you withdraw after January 31st).