Which courses can I take?
ESP/IESP students are eligible to register in three full credit courses: one First Year Seminar (FYSM) and those elective courses that are supported by ESP/IESP workshops.
How do I register for my courses?
ESP/IESP students have a different registration method than other Carleton students. You register through the ESP/IESP office, following these steps:
- Read through the Registration Guide & Student Handbook for guidance in completing each registration step.
- Read through the Course Descriptions Arts Stream 2017-18 to identify courses that are of interest to you. Consult the Registration Guide & Student Handbook for tips on recommended courses for majors you might be considering.
- Build a schedule. For your top three choices (your top FYSM choice and top two electives plus their workshops), consult the Class & Workshop Schedule. Use a Blank Timetable to create a possible schedule. Make sure your top three choices work together.
- Complete and submit your Course Selection Form & attend a Registration Information Session, if possible.
Note: Be sure to open your Course Selection Form in Adobe Reader so that you can save the form properly once completed.
- Check your schedule and pay your fees. See the Registration Guide & Student Handbook for more on how to view and pay your fees.
- Use our checklist to make sure you’re on track.
- Classes start on Wednesday, September 6th, 2017.
How can I get help selecting courses?
Please attend one of our Registration Information Sessions.
Registration Information Sessions
- Friday, July 21, 2017
- Monday, July 24, 2017
- Wednesday, July 26, 2017
- Tuesday, August 1, 2017
- Thursday, August 3, 2017
- Wednesday, August 9, 2017
- Wednesday, August 16, 2017
Optional: after the Registration Session, go on a campus tour. Book tours through the tours office here.
Register: To register for a Registration Information Session, please call us at 613-520-2804 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can’t make it to a session? Slides from the session will be posted here in mid-July.
Below is some information regarding on-campus opportunities to assist you in preparing for the start of the academic year:
Mandatory Orientation Activities
- Attend the mandatory Academic Orientation Day on Tuesday, September 5th, 2017
- Begin your classes on Wednesday, September 6th, 2017
Optional Orientation Activities
- Register for a Summer Orientation Session (we recommend the Open Sessions, as they are not degree-specific)
- Participate in the Fall Orientation activities:
How do I pay my fees?
Once ESP/IESP has registered you in courses (approx. 10 days after you submit your Course Selection Form), login to Carleton Central to confirm fees and payment methods.
- Fall fees are due August 25, 2017. This deadline is for the fall fee payment. Failure to pay fall fees by September 30th will result in de-registration from all fall and winter courses.
- Winter fees are due November 25, 2017. Ensure payment for your winter fees is processed to your account without incurring a late charge by this date.
If you will be receiving funding from a Government Student Aid Program such as OSAP, you may be eligible to defer fee payment beyond the August 25 payment deadline (to September 14 for the fall and January 12 for the winter). Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline at 613-520-3626 or email@example.com.
What if I pay after the deadline?
Students who have not made arrangements to have their fees paid by September 30 will be deregistered from all courses for the fall and winter terms. Detailed payment information can be found on the Student Accounts website: www.carleton.ca/fees. Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline: 613-520-3626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I have to pay for both terms at the same time?
No – while many prefer to pay the entire academic year up-front, you do have an option to pay by term, provided your payments are received by the associated deadlines (August 25th for the fall and November 25th for winter term fees). Make sure you are aware of the late and interest charge penalties for late payment, as well as our financial hold policy.
How can I check my balance?
You may check your balance online via Carleton Central once you are registered in courses. Click on “Calculate Amount to Pay” from the “Registration” menu. The ‘Total Amount to Pay’ amount is your account balance. The ‘Minimum Amount to Pay’ amount is the balance for your fall term (if electing to pay by term).
Click here for ESP/IESP tuition and workshop costs.
Before September 30
After you submit the Course Selection Form and we add your courses, you will be charged tuition and workshop fees. If you must withdraw, you must contact the ESP office as soon as you have made the decision to withdraw in order to cancel tuition and workshop fees at email@example.com or 613-520-2804.
After September 30
After September 30th, you cannot receive a refund of your fall term fees, though if you withdraw between October 1st and January 31st, you will be eligible for a refund of winter term fees. In order to withdraw from courses, you must contact one of the ESP/AESP Student Advisors no later than 4:00 p.m. on the drop-date. You will not be able to withdraw from courses on-line.
If you need to withdraw from a course during the year, please note the following deadlines:
- September 30, 2017: Last day to withdraw from fall courses and receive a refund of fees.
- December 8, 2017: Last day to withdraw from fall courses (no refund of fall term fees if you withdraw after September 30th).
- January 31, 2018: Last day to withdraw from winter courses and receive a refund of fees.
- April 7, 2018: Last day to withdraw from winter courses (no refund of winter term fees if you withdraw after January 31st).