Which courses can I take?
ESP students are eligible to register in three full credit courses: one First Year Seminar (FYSM) and two elective courses that are supported by ESP workshops.
How do I register for my courses?
ESP students have a different registration method than other Carleton students. You register through the ESP office, following the steps below. Read through the Student Guide for guidance in completing each registration step.
- Research your course choices:
- Build a schedule for your top three choices (your top FYSM choice and top two electives plus their workshops).
- Online only option – You have the option to register in our fully online stream (limited space available). This will allow you to study online for both terms. The following courses are available to those who wish to study online in the fall and winter terms: FYSM 1900 D or I, LAWS 1001/1002 and PSYC 1001/1002.
- Attend a Registration Information Session if you would like assistance choosing classes (in-person only or you can request a one-on-one virtual meeting) or if you want to hear our presentation about what to expect next (online or in-person).
- Complete and submit the applicable online Course Selection Form:
- Approximately 5-7 days later: Check your schedule and pay your fees. See the Student Guide for more on how to view your schedule and pay your fees.
- Use our checklist to make sure you’re on track.
- Academic Orientation is on September 6th and classes begin September 7th.
How can I get help selecting courses?
ESP Registration Information Sessions
Register: To register for a Registration Information Session, click here.
All sessions begin at 1:30 pm and are approximately 2 hours in length. You can attend in person or online (HyFlex).
- Friday, July 29th
- Tuesday, August 2nd
- Wednesday, August 3rd
- Friday, August 5th
- Monday, August 8th
- Wednesday, August 10th
Can’t make it? view the slides here.
How to Be a University Student
Held August 22-26, 9am to 5pm, How to be a University Student is a five-day, on-campus course for incoming university students who want a strong start in their university studies. A blend of lectures, readings, and workshops will teach students evidence-based strategies for success in university, with an emphasis on how to develop strong academic skills and habits. Students will apply their new knowledge through in-person, interactive workshops led by skilled upper-year university students.
- Study skills and habits assessment
- The transition to in-person learning
- Forming and maintaining habits
- Managing stress
- Predicting interests, challenges, and strengths
- Advanced goal setting: What’s a WOOP?
- How learning works: Learning styles and other learning myths
- Reading & writing for university: No more 5-paragraph essays
- Academic self-concept, metacognition, growth mindset
- Collaboration skills for higher education
For more information go to: https://carleton.ca/cie/academicprep/
To register for How to Be a University Student: Complete the ESP Summer Prep Registration Form.
Below is some information to assist you in preparing for the start of the academic year:
Mandatory Orientation Activities
- Attend the mandatory Academic Orientation Day on Tuesday, September 6, 2022 – More information will be provided to students as it becomes available.
- Begin your classes on Wednesday, September 7, 2022.
Optional Orientation Activities
- Register for a Summer Orientation Session – This virtual offering will be hosted on Brightspace and will provide students with an opportunity to explore campus resources, programs and provide key information prior to starting their first year at Carleton. Please note, that not all information will be relevant for ESP students. If you are unsure about something please send us an email or discuss with one of our Academic Coaches when you have your essential summer welcome visit beginning the week of August 2nd through our Summer Welcome Program.
- Participate in the Fall Orientation activities:
- Centralized Fall Orientation – Designed for all new first-year Carleton Students. ESP students are NOT able to participate in Sprosh or EngFrosh, as they are not part of those faculties at this time.
- International Student Orientation – Designed for all new international students.
- PMC Fall Orientation – Designed for all new and previously registered PMC students.
How do I pay my fees?
Once ESP has registered you in courses (approx. 5-7 days after you submit your Course Selection Form), login to Carleton Central to confirm fees and payment methods.
- Fall fees are due August 25, 2022. This deadline is for the fall fee payment. Failure to pay fall fees by September 30th, 2022 will result in de-registration from all fall and winter courses.
- Winter fees are due November 25, 2022. Ensure payment for your winter fees is processed to your account without incurring a late charge by this date.
If you will be receiving funding from a Government Student Aid Program such as OSAP, you may be eligible to defer fee payment beyond the August 25th payment deadline (to September 14th for the Fall and January 16th for the Winter). Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline at 613-520-3626 or email@example.com.
What if I pay after the deadline?
Students who have not made arrangements to have their fees paid by September 30th will be deregistered from all courses for the fall and winter terms. Detailed payment information can be found on the Student Accounts website: carleton.ca/fees. Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline: 613-520-3626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I have to pay for both terms at the same time?
No – while many prefer to pay the entire academic year up-front, you do have an option to pay by term, provided your payments are received by the associated deadlines (August 25th for the fall and November 25th for winter term fees). Make sure you are aware of the late and interest charge penalties for late payment, as well as our financial hold policy.
How can I check my balance?
You may check your balance online via Carleton Central once you are registered in courses. Click on “Calculate Amount to Pay” from the “Registration” menu. The ‘Total Amount to Pay’ amount is your account balance. The ‘Minimum Amount to Pay’ amount is the balance for your fall term (if electing to pay by term).
Click here for ESP tuition and workshop costs.
Before September 30
After you submit the Course Selection Form and we add your courses, you will be charged tuition and workshop fees. If you must withdraw, you must contact the ESP office as soon as you have made the decision to withdraw in order to cancel tuition and workshop fees at email@example.com or 613-520-2804.
After September 30
After September 30th, you cannot receive a refund of your fall term fees, though if you withdraw between October 1st and January 31st, you will be eligible for a refund of winter term fees. In order to withdraw from courses, you must contact an ESP Student Advisor no later than 4:00 p.m. on the drop-date. You will not be able to withdraw from courses on-line.
If you need to withdraw from a course during the year, please note the following deadlines:
- September 30, 2022: Last day to withdraw from full fall term and fall/winter courses and receive a refund of fees.
- November 15, 2022: Last day to withdraw from full fall courses (no refund of fall term fees if you withdraw after September 30th).
- January 31, 2023: Last day to withdraw from full winter courses and receive a refund of fees.
- March 15, 2023: Last day to withdraw from full winter courses (no refund of winter term fees if you withdraw after January 31st).