Which courses can I take?
ESP/IESP students are eligible to register in three credit courses: one First Year Seminar and those elective courses that are supported by ESP/IESP workshops.
A note about course offerings as we emerge from COVID restrictions:
- Most large courses will be online in the fall and move to in person in the winter term
- Most of our ESP/IESP workshops and FYSM courses will be held in person (with social distancing guidelines in place for the fall term)
ESP/IESP students have a different registration method than other Carleton students. You register through the ESP/IESP office, following the steps below. Read through the Student Guide for guidance in completing each registration step.
- Research your course choices:
- Read through the Course Descriptions to identify courses that are of interest to you;
- Build a schedule:
- Attend a Registration Information Session if you would like assistance choosing classes.
- Complete and submit the applicable online Course Selection Form:
- Approximately 5 days later: Check your schedule and pay your fees. See the Student Guide for more on how to view your schedule and pay your fees.
- Use our checklist to make sure you’re on track.
- Orientation is on September 7th and Classes begin September 8th.
How can I get help selecting courses?
Please attend one of our Registration Information Sessions.
Register: To register for a Registration Information Session, click here.
All sessions begin at 1:30 pm online and are approximately 2 hours in length.
- Thursday, August 5th
- Tuesday, August 10th
- Thursday, August 12th
- Tuesday, August 17th
- Thursday, August 19th
- Can’t make it? Check out the slides here.
All students enrolling in Math-intensive programs (such as our Engineering stream), will have access to the free version of Carleton’s Math Matters summer preparation course. This material will be available in August and students will be automatically registered for the course and be able to access all the material on Brightspace. While the Free option is available, we encourage students to explore the Premium Version to get the most out of what the program has to offer.
MATH Matters- Premium
Held August 23-27, provides live help and resources, Math Matters Premium offers everything in the free version with the added bonus of interactive group sessions with a Study Group Leader and a MATH Matters e-textbook.
The fee for Math Matters- Premium is $250, including HST.
Math Matters covers and reviews topics like:
- Algebra (basic algebra, intervals, and simplifying algebraic expressions);
- Equations (solving equations and inequalities, special formulas);
- Transcendental functions; and
More info: visit carleton.ca/mathmatters.
Held August 30 to September 3, CHEM Matters is a week-long course that is designed to help prepare students coming into CHEM 1001 by emphasizing the importance of chemistry fundamentals. By having a strong grasp of underlying concepts that are common to all chemistry courses, you’ll enter first year with a solid foundation of knowledge and skills you can use and build upon. You’ll learn how to manipulate, understand, and solve for variables in simple chemical equations, which you can later translate to do the same for more complicated systems.
The fee for Chem Matters is $100, including HST.
Chem Matters covers and reviews topics like:
- Simple chemical reactions: stoichiometry and balancing, calculating reagents, moles, neutralization reactions
- Units: conversion between units, identifying and using SI units
- Physical properties of solids, liquids and gases: density, volume, using the ideal gas law
More info: visit sssc.carleton.ca/chemmatters.
To register for MATH Matters- Premium and/or CHEM Matters: Complete the ESP/IESP Summer Prep Registration Form
Below is some information to assist you in preparing for the start of the academic year:
Mandatory Orientation Activities
- Attend the mandatory Academic Orientation Day on Tuesday, September 7, 2021 – This will be held online this year. More information will be provided to students as it becomes available.
- Begin your classes on Wednesday, September 8, 2021.
Optional Orientation Activities
- Register for a Summer Orientation Session – This virtual offering will be hosted on CuLearn and will provide students with an opportunity to explore campus resources. Please note that not all information will be relevant for ESP/IESP students. If you are unsure about something please send us an email or discuss with one of our Academic Coaches that will be inviting you for a virtual “meet and greet” beginning August 9th through our Summer Welcome Program.
- Participate in the Fall Orientation activities:
- Centralized Fall Orientation – Designed for all new first-year Carleton Students. ESP/IESP students are NOT able to participate in Sprosh or EngFrosh as they are not part of those faculties at this time.
- International student Orientation – Designed for all new international students.
- PMC Fall Orientation – Designed for all new PMC-registered students.
How do I pay my fees?
Once ESP/IESP has registered you in courses (approx. 5 days after you submit your Course Selection Form), login to Carleton Central to confirm fees and payment methods.
- Fall fees are due August 25, 2021. This deadline is for the fall fee payment. Failure to pay fall fees by September 30th will result in de-registration from all fall and winter courses.
- Winter fees are due November 25, 2021. Ensure payment for your winter fees is processed to your account without incurring a late charge by this date.
If you will be receiving funding from a Government Student Aid Program such as OSAP, you may be eligible to defer fee payment beyond the August 25th payment deadline (to September 15th for the fall and January 17th for the winter). Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline at 613-520-3626 or email@example.com.
What if I pay after the deadline?
Students who have not made arrangements to have their fees paid by September 30th will be deregistered from all courses for the fall and winter terms. Detailed payment information can be found on the Student Accounts website: www.carleton.ca/fees. Please contact our Student Accounts office if you have any concerns about meeting the payment deadline: 613-520-3626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I have to pay for both terms at the same time?
No – while many prefer to pay the entire academic year up-front, you do have an option to pay by term, provided your payments are received by the associated deadlines (August 25th for the fall and November 25th for winter term fees). Make sure you are aware of the late and interest charge penalties for late payment, as well as our financial hold policy.
How can I check my balance?
You may check your balance online via Carleton Central once you are registered in courses. Click on “Calculate Amount to Pay” from the “Registration” menu. The ‘Total Amount to Pay’ amount is your account balance. The ‘Minimum Amount to Pay’ amount is the balance for your fall term (if electing to pay by term).
Click here for ESP/IESP tuition and workshop costs.
Before September 30
After you submit the Course Selection Form and we add your courses, you will be charged tuition and workshop fees. In order to avoid these charges, you must contact the ESP office as soon as you have made the decision to withdraw email@example.com or 613-520-2804.
After September 30
After September 30th, you cannot receive a refund of your fall term fees, though if you withdraw between October 1st and January 31st, you will be eligible for a refund of winter term fees. In order to withdraw from courses, you must contact one of the ESP/IESP Student Advisors no later than 4:00 p.m. on the drop-date. You will not be able to withdraw from courses on-line.
If you need to withdraw from a course during the year, please note the following deadlines:
- September 30, 2021: Last day to withdraw from fall courses and receive a refund of fees.
- December 10, 2021: Last day to withdraw from fall courses (no refund of fall term fees if you withdraw after September 30th).
- January 31, 2022: Last day to withdraw from winter courses and receive a refund of fees.
- April 12, 2022: Last day to withdraw from winter courses (no refund of winter term fees if you withdraw after January 31st).