Carleton University has partnered with International SOS to offer our students medical, safety and security advice, and referrals and emotional support when travelling or living abroad. International SOS has a large network of highly-trusted employees who use their knowledge of procedures and policies across the world to help provide global medical assistance and security measures, no matter your location.
As a participant, you have free 24/7 access to many great services offered by International SOS, such as medical, travel and personal assistance, as well as the Assistance App; a powerful tool that provides key medical and travel information, one-click dialing to the nearest Assistance Centre, medical alerts and overall peace of mind, all at no cost to you.
Information about International SOS for staff and faculty is available on the Financial Services website.
How International SOS Helps
- Pre-trip information and regional advisories.
- By calling or texting, International SOS can immediately connect you with a doctor who will make a recommendation based on your symptoms and will suggest the location of a nearby medical clinic, if you require medical attention.
- International SOS can provide safety guidance on topics such as safe taxi companies and/or accommodations in the area.
- You can call or text for more information and for expert recommendations for your safety about incidents or reports occurring in the region/country you are visiting.
There is a direct dial button to International SOS dial on the app. You can access International SOS by phone or text messaging at any point of your experience.
How to access International SOS:
Step 1: Download the app
Go to your Smartphone browser and enter http://app.internationalsos.com to download the app.
Step 2: Set up your profile
In order to access the service, you must set up your profile using your Carleton University email address and the Carleton Membership Number 27ACAS714670. Your family can also call International SOS for information if they have concerns about you while you are away. However, please note that your confidential information will not be shared without your permission.
Step 3: Upload your flight information
Forward your flight e-ticket to International SOS from your university email address. Once completed, you will receive a Pre-Trip Advisory for the country(ies) that you are visiting. You will also be registered for email alerts specific to your destination(s).
Using the ‘check in’ function on the App, you will be provided with security advice specific to your immediate location throughout your travels.
Please note: If you plan to purchase a burner phone during your travels, you will need to download the International SOS app on your new device to stay connected to International SOS throughout your trip.
My World Abroad
Discover the career value of study abroad. The ISSO has partnered with MyWorldAbroad to provide our students with valuable resources and advice to develop global career skills and incorporate them into the job search. Use your Carleton University email to register for a FREE MyWorldAbroad account, and check out some the most popular content:
- International Quizzes: Do you know what it takes to succeed abroad?
- Stories From Abroad: Q&A with students who’ve traveled.
- Quick Guides: 35 important go-abroad topics.
- Be more than just a tourist! Boost your international skills now.
- In A Rush? Access the most important info!
- Self-Evaluations: The key to your success at home & abroad.
- Discover the Career Value of Going Abroad! It’s proven. International skills matter!
- 100 Career-boosting Strategies While Abroad: Your future self will thank you.
- Your International Resume & LinkedIn Profile: Get serious about the job hunt.
- Top Tips On Going Abroad & Your Career: No experience? No problem.
And there’s much more! Visit MyWorldAbroad to register for your FREE account.