The ISSO is unable to provide advice on income tax matters to individual students. The information provided below is intended to be a brief overview and introduction to the Canadian tax system. As an international student, you are encouraged to seek advice from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), or from a qualified income tax specialist. 

Do international students have to file taxes in Canada?

International students can find more details on whether or not you should be submitting a tax return.

Watch the Online Tutorial to Learn More!

Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has developed an online tutorial with more details on filing taxes for international students. Be sure to watch it as it addresses many common questions pertaining to taxes.

The ISSO has a brochure with a brief overview of tax information details. Drop by 128 University Centre to get details.

Where can you complete your tax return?

1. Free Taxes Clinics at Carleton

Unfortunately the SASA Tax Clinic will not be run this year, due to COVID-19 concerns.  Apologies for the inconvenience. They may be other free tax clinics across the city who can facilitate tax preparation although they may be impacted by health precautions as well.  There are also companies who will prepare your return, for a fee, such as H&R Block. The deadline to submit taxes has been extended by the federal government to June 1, 2020.

2. Local Tax Offices

You do not need to pay an accountant to complete your taxes as this can often be quite expensive, but if you choose to do so, you can go to a professional.  You can look for free tax filing services normally available to low income earners at local community centres.  Some suggestions include:

3. File Your Own

You can file your taxes using online software or filling out paper forms. For example, UFile.ca is an online service for preparing and filing your taxes.

If you require more information:

International Tax Services Office  1-800-267-5177

GST Credits   1-800-959-1953

Canada Revenue Agency for forms, publications and more information see CRA’s Student Guide  or contact their International Tax Services Office (from Ottawa area) at 613-940-8495

Documents you may need in order to file your taxes:

  • SIN Card
  • T4 slips (if you work)
  • T4A slips
  • T2202 (print from Carleton Central)
  • Donation receipts
  • Rent receipts
  • Bus passes (print the UPass receipt from Carleton Central)