Introduction to Computer Algorithms (Algorithms I), grades 7-8* (Online)
*Refers to the level of mathematics and not to the actual age.
Introduction to algorithms will provide the basics of what an algorithm is. We will show the students how to think about resolving a problem as a step-by-step process. We will show them how to break the problems in manageable components and solve them in simple mathematical steps.
We shall give an introduction to computer architecture, flow charts, pseudo code and will do demonstrations using C and/or Java.
In particular this course will cover:
– Simple mathematical functions and algorithmic representations
– Introduction to sets and functions – Algorithm to calculate sum of natural numbers, etc
– Basic data types – Integer, Real, Characters
– Basic algorithmic constructs for assignment and decisions (if) and mathematical operations
– Installation of a compiler, writing a simple program, build, compile and run
– Constructs for loops – for, while-do, do-while
– Algorithms using Single dimension and multi dimension arrays
– Calculation of Pi, Conversions, Series, Sequences, Binary-Decimal
– Searching – Minimum in a set of numbers
– Basic Sorting – Bubble sort, Insertion sort, Merge sort
– Statistics – Mean, Mode, Median, Range
– Introduction to subroutines and higher level constructs
– Multi dimensional arrays – Data representation
– Matrix operations
– Iterative methods – Factorial and Fibonacci
– Basic Recursion – Factorial and Fibonacci
2020/21 Course Information
This course will be offered online, on Mondays 5:00 to 6:30pm.
This course will run from September 2020 to April 2021 with a break in December.
We reserve the right to cancel the course or a section with a full refund if minimum enrollment is not reached.
Registration fee: $420.
For students with limited financial resources fee waivers may be available.
If you intend to apply for a fee waiver, please do NOT complete the regular registration. If you register for a course and then get approval for a fee waiver, there will be a non-refundable administration fee of $25 per registration.
Since financial situation is volatile for many families in this challenging time, we will begin accepting applications for the Fee Waivers on August 1, 2020. We are committed to not closing registrations in courses before August 31. If a course becomes full before that date, we will add an additional section of that course.
100% refund prior to August 31st
95% refund prior to September 30th
75% refund prior to October 31st
50% refund prior to November 30th
To request refund, please complete this form before the deadline.
For details please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Please note we are unable to answer any enquiries by phone.**