Python in Motion (Online)
Grade 9-12 Students
This is an online Computer Programming course for the students who are already familiar with the basics of programming (in any computer programming language).
- Standard Ontario School Curriculum (extra knowledge in STEM would help)
- Basic Programming Experience and a lot of enthusiasm
- Computer access at home (laptop in class is not required)
- Why choose Python? Do we have any alternatives?
- What does it mean “I am a software developer”?
- Installing development environment (Python3 and Wing) – parental help is welcome!
- Let ‘s talk Python3:
- Variables and expressions
- Assignment statements
- If statements
- Containers: lists, tuples, sets
- Functions and their scope
- Standard libraries
- Programming practice I
- Algorithm design on Python:
- Algorithm + Data Structure = Program
- Designing your own algorithm
- Algorithm’s complexity
- Structural programming and work ethics
- Additional Topic Explored: what if we have no algorithm? (“Artificial Intelligence”)
- Introduction to Graphics Programming
- Teamwork in computer programming
- Programming practice II (let us make a computer game)
- Introduction to Object Oriented Design (OOD):
- Why OOD?
- OOD principles
- OOD support in Python
- OOD programming practice
- Programming practice III
- Additional Topic Explored: networks and network security
- Recursion and Iteration
- Working with files and computer networks
- Programming Practice IV
2020/21 Course Information
The course will run online from September 2020 to April 2021 on Saturday mornings from 10:30am to 12 noon with a break in December.
Tests (all tests are “take home”):
- Midterm (Dec 5th)
- Final exam (April 5th)
Registration fee: $400+HST.
For students with limited financial resources fee waivers may be available.
If you intend to apply for a fee waiver, please do NOT complete the regular registration. If you register for a course and then get approval for a fee waiver, there will be a non-refundable administration fee of $25 per registration.
Since financial situation is volatile for many families in this challenging time, we will begin accepting applications for the Fee Waivers on August 1, 2020. We are committed to not closing registrations in courses before August 31. If a course becomes full before that date, we will add an additional section of that course.
100% refund prior to August 31st
95% refund prior to September 30th
75% refund prior to October 31st
50% refund prior to November 30th
To request refund, please complete this form before the deadline.
**Please note we are unable to answer any enquiries by phone.**