Python in Motion (Online)
Grade 9-12 Students
This is an online Computer Programming course for the students who are already familiar with the basics of programming (in any computer programming language).
- Standard Ontario School Curriculum (extra knowledge in STEM would help)
- Basic Programming Experience and a lot of enthusiasm
- Computer access at home (laptop in class is not required)
- Why choose Python? Do we have any alternatives?
- What does it mean “I am a software developer”?
- Installing development environment (Python3 and Wing) – parental help is welcome!
- Let ‘s talk Python3:
- Variables and expressions
- Assignment statements
- If statements
- Containers: lists, tuples, sets
- Functions and their scope
- Standard libraries
- Programming practice I
- Algorithm design on Python:
- Algorithm + Data Structure = Program
- Designing your own algorithm
- Algorithm’s complexity
- Structural programming and work ethics
- Additional Topic Explored: what if we have no algorithm? (“Artificial Intelligence”)
- Introduction to Graphics Programming
- Teamwork in computer programming
- Programming practice II (let us make a computer game)
- Introduction to Object Oriented Design (OOD):
- Why OOD?
- OOD principles
- OOD support in Python
- OOD programming practice
- Programming practice III
- Additional Topic Explored: networks and network security
- Recursion and Iteration
- Working with files and computer networks
- Programming Practice IV
2020/21 Course Information
The course will run online from September 2020 to April 2021 on Saturday mornings from 10:30am to 12 noon with a break in December. First class is on Saturday September 19.
Tests (all tests are “take home”):
- Midterm (Dec 5th)
- Final exam (April 5th)
Registrations are now closed.
100% refund prior to August 31st
95% refund prior to September 30th
75% refund prior to October 31st
50% refund prior to November 30th
To request refund, please complete this form before the deadline.
**Please note we are unable to answer any enquiries by phone.**