The Professional Certificate in International Policy, Analysis to Evaluation
This 4-day workshop presents the principal elements of policy analysis, development and evaluation as they apply to a variety of international public policies.
This workshop is not currently on offer.
The program is organized around the various stages of an applied problem-solving model of the international public policy process, and policy cases and exercises are used to illustrate their application in the analysis, development and evaluation of international policies.
Policy skills and knowledge are presented through two two-day workshops:
Step 1: Policy Analysis provides instruction on the various stages of the policy process:
- agenda setting
- policy formulation
- decision making
- policy implementation
This instruction is applied in a number of different case studies and policy exercises.
Step 2: Policy Development and Evaluation builds on these stages, and presents analytical tools to apply in the following three areas:
- analyzing consequences
- assessing trade-offs among alternative policies
- methods for evaluating the impact of policies
This instruction is also applied in a number of different case studies and policy exercises.
Both Steps in this program contain three distinct learning components: (1) knowledge transfer or “the how to”s of policy analysis for public , non-governmental and macro-level private sector decision-makers; (2) a series of policy exercises; and (3) group assessment and peer critique.
At the conclusion of the certificate program, participants will be able to:
- identify a public problem for inclusion on the governmental policy agenda
- identify the objectives that any potential solution would need to achieve in addressing the problem
- identify the various alternative solutions that are available to address the problem
- construct a consequences matrix for the various alternatives
- assess the alternative solutions, identifying the advantages and disadvantages associated with each and trade-offs among them
- devise a plan of action for implementation
- prepare an Action Memorandum with recommendations for policy action
- identify appropriate methods for impact and efficiency assessment