Women in Computer Science (WiCS) is a group organized by the School of Computer Science, Carleton University with the mission of establishing a positive environment for women in computing at all academic levels. Our goal is to develop a network of females in computing at Carleton that would allow them to share experiences and learn from each other. Our mandate is:
- to establish an environment where female students are supported in their studies;
- to promote women in Computer Science;
- to build a strong network of women in Computer Science.
– Undergraduate and Graduate Community Building
WiCS meetings are held twice a term and speakers from industry and academia are invited to come and share their career experience with students. We discuss topics designed to encourage women in Computer Science.
– Student Mentorship Program
This mentorhip program helps to connect CS students. We pair upper-level female mentors with freshman women to provide them with guidance in their first years. The events include technical workshops, social gatherings, and discussion circles about common issues that students face.
– Supporting Conference Attendance
WiCS coordinates and supports the participation of Carleton CS female students to attend conferences involving women in computing (e.g., Grace Hopper, CAN-CWiC, etc.).
- Chola Chikolwa email@example.com
- Victoria Gray VictoriaGray@cmail.carleton.ca
- Kalpana Hundlani KalpanaHundlani@cmail.carleton.ca
- Elisa Kazan Elisakazan@cmail.carleton.ca
- Esti Tweg EstiTweg@cmail.carleton.ca
- Tina Vashistha Tina.Vashistha@carleton.ca
- Krithika Saravanan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Presentation slides from WICS first meeting are uploaded:
- Olga Baysal on behalf of WiCS: “WiCS Introduction”
- Leila Chinaei, SCS Laboratory and Course Coordinator: “Grace Hopper Celebration: Experience and Insights”
- Alif Islam and Jack McCracken, SCS undergraduate students: “Beyond the Code: Highlights”
- WiCS is in the news! On November 11th, WiCS was mentioned on the Midweek program on CKCU, 93.1. A short interview with Leila Chineai talking about why WiCS was started is contained in the program. Check out the audio of the interview here!
- Join our first WICS meeting on November 13th, at 10 am in HP 4351! All are welcome!
Join our mailing lists to find out what’s happening throughout the year and how you can participate in our meetings. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.